Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/03/14 15:59:29 UTC

[ANN/OT] xreporter 1.1 release - Avalon/Cocoon-based web database reporting

Hi all,

we've just released the 1.1 version of xReporter, our open source
Avalon/Cocoon-based database reporting framework, available from
http://xreporter.cocoondev.org/

xReporter consists of 2 main components:

  * an Avalon Phoenix-based query server, which is configured through
XML-based report definitions, and is accessible across an XML/HTTP interface
  * a Cocoon front-end generating configurable HTML, PDF, Excel and CSV
renditions of your database reports, thanks to the wonders of FOP, POI
and some Cocoon drudgery

New things in this release:

  - a new skinning system to make it easy to implement your own look &
    feel without extensive XSLT coding
  - support for grouping in report definition and visualisation
  - a simplified and configurable build system
  - various other little fixes and patches

xReporter is released under an Apache-style license, and we welcome
contributions and patches. There's a live demo available on the project
website, too.

Have fun,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [ANN/OT] xreporter 1.1 release - Avalon/Cocoon-based web database reporting

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Ryan Hoegg wrote:

> Ah, well then as soon as I get to my next project involving reporting, I
> will be sure to stay in touch, and begin diversifying your community :)

                              <{{|||applause|||}}>

yep, that's what we like :-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [ANN/OT] xreporter 1.1 release - Avalon/Cocoon-based web database reporting

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> the xReporter community is still very young, and only the first
> almost-patches are trickling in ATM. One of the main criteria for
> Apache-adoption is the existence of a _diverse_ group of committers,
> not residing under one single company umbrella, which unfortunately is
> the case ATM with xReporter. Not by intention, just by the young age
> of the project.

Ah, well then as soon as I get to my next project involving reporting, I
will be sure to stay in touch, and begin diversifying your community :)

> Re: Forrest, I assume you are referring to Lenya really, since Forrest
> is and always has been an Apache project. May I warn you also that
> Lenya has not become an Incubating Apache project yet, IIUC.

I stand corrected :)

Re: [ANN/OT] xreporter 1.1 release - Avalon/Cocoon-based web database reporting

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Ryan Hoegg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the second announcement I've seen for this project.  I must say,
> from what I've seen of it it fills a large gap in the open source
> enterprise software arena.  Have you considered using the Incubator to
> get this into Apache?  Forrest is a good example of a Cocoon-based
> project that has done the same.

Hi Ryan,

the xReporter community is still very young, and only the first
almost-patches are trickling in ATM. One of the main criteria for
Apache-adoption is the existence of a _diverse_ group of committers, not
residing under one single company umbrella, which unfortunately is the
case ATM with xReporter. Not by intention, just by the young age of the
project.

As much as we are open to the idea of donating the codebase to Apache,
we think the community isn't there yet, and we don't just want to dump
our code for reasons of being 'cool' or the like. We specifically warn
people of the possibility of an eventual donation in our license, so
when the community and interest is there, it might happen.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [ANN/OT] xreporter 1.1 release - Avalon/Cocoon-based web database reporting

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Hi,

--
Ryan Hoegg