Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com> on 2012/03/22 10:39:14 UTC

Multiple JCR Repositories in a single MikroKernel instance (?)

hi

from some basic discussions at the last f2f in basel i got the
impression that we may have multiple independant JCR repositories
in the same MikroKernel instance.

if that was the case and not a misunderstanding from my side,
i would like us to discuss how those different JCR repositories
are being addressed.

yesterday i played around with moving the login to the SPI layer
(oak-core) and found out that i had the following parameters
at hand:

a) URL of the mikrokernel
b) Workspace node within that mikrokernel

but i didn't find out how i would have identified the target JCR
repository containing that workspace.

am i missing something or is this something we still have to
define?

kind regards
angela

Re: Multiple JCR Repositories in a single MikroKernel instance (?)

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

On 22.3.12 10:18, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Michael Dürig<md...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> I think this is not the case. If I'm not completely mistaken there will be
>> always an 1:1 correspondence between an MicroKernel instance and a
>> Repository instance.
>
> That's my thinking as well.
>
> In a cloud deployment the underlying cloud-scale storage backend can
> and probably will be used to host multiple repositories. Also in such
> cases I see us having multiple MicroKernels running on top of such a
> backend, one (cluster) for each logical repository.
>
> Thus there should be no need to distinguish between one repository and
> another in the oak-core level.

BTW the 1:1 correspondence was a major working assumption during the
last couple of months. This might be the reason it wasn't too explicitly
stated at the F2F.

Michael

Re: Multiple JCR Repositories in a single MikroKernel instance (?)

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com>.
hi

it seems that tom got totally confused by my thread.
here some additional info:

what i meant was:

the mk-url was not only the identification of the storage
but would have (in case this is not yet the case) to identify
that part of the storage the contains the data of the
JCR repository that is being created.

when referring to the workspace name i was just omitting
some additional steps in my mind. what i meant was:

thus, identifying an item in the mk would in that case not only
consist of storage-address + wsp-Name + item-Path but
would rather have to be:

mk-url (being both storage and jcr-repo-identifier) + wsp-Name + item-Path

kind regards
angela

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Angela,

My understanding of the proposed design was that there would be two parts
1. MK Client - Each repository for a tenant would be using its repositories
MK Client stack to communicate with one server which provider the server
side implementation for MK layer
2. MK Server

Multiple Repository Instances through there Mk Client stacks would be
communicating with single MK Server. This server can be the store for all
the different repository instance (tenants). The MK Client would be using
some authentication keys based on which access to that section of store
would be allowed to it.

Chetan Mehrotra

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com>.
hi tom

Posted by Thomas Mueller <mu...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com>.
hi

On 3/22/12 11:18 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> I think this is not the case. If I'm not completely mistaken there will be
>> always an 1:1 correspondence between an MicroKernel instance and a
>> Repository instance.
>
> That's my thinking as well.

ok...

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think this is not the case. If I'm not completely mistaken there will be
> always an 1:1 correspondence between an MicroKernel instance and a
> Repository instance.

That's my thinking as well.

In a cloud deployment the underlying cloud-scale storage backend can
and probably will be used to host multiple repositories. Also in such
cases I see us having multiple MicroKernels running on top of such a
backend, one (cluster) for each logical repository.

Thus there should be no need to distinguish between one repository and
another in the oak-core level.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Multiple JCR Repositories in a single MikroKernel instance (?)

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.
Hi,