Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/07/09 18:47:59 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 2442 - trunk/packages/freebsd/subversion

Garrett, do you know how this log message mess happened?  I've already
cleaned it in the repository, just want to know what you did to make
it happen :-).  (We had a bug like this before, but I thought we fixed
it...)

-Karl

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 01:58:18PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
> > i know exactly how it happened, and it was pilot error.  for some
> > reason my network connection at home was flakey last night, and my
> > first few attempts to commit this failed, so i saved the log entry
> > to a file and waited till the morning to commit it.  then when i did
> > it this morning i just did a 'svn commit -F ~/msg', and it got the
> > random crap at the end of the file that would have been filtered out
> > if it had come out of the editor.
> >
> > my bad, and thanks for cleaning it up for me.
>
> Dang.  I *know* there was some thread about this recently, with some
> conclusion as to how -F should behave, but can't remember what we
> decided... Do you recall this?

i'm not sure what the resolution of the thread was (mind like a seive
lately...), but i'm personally leaning towards the idea that when we
take a message from a file via -F we should treat it exactly the same
as if we got it from the text editor, with the same filtering being
done, just to avoid mistakes like this.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes

Re: svn commit: rev 2442 - trunk/packages/freebsd/subversion

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:
> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgId=170774

Thanks, Philip.  Yeah, agree with Greg's conclusion there.

Not alpha priority, so not pursuing this further right now. :-)

Re: svn commit: rev 2442 - trunk/packages/freebsd/subversion

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 01:47:59PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Garrett, do you know how this log message mess happened?  I've already
> cleaned it in the repository, just want to know what you did to make
> it happen :-).  (We had a bug like this before, but I thought we fixed
> it...)

ack, i didn't even see that.