Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2012/10/16 13:44:33 UTC

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #234: Quick Ticket: link to /newticket, description and priority

On 16/10/12 12:26, Peter Koželj wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Apache Bloodhound <
> bloodhound-dev@incubator.apache.org> wrote:
>
>> #234: Quick Ticket: link to /newticket, description and priority
>> --------------------------+---------------------
>>    Reporter:  jdreimann    |      Owner:  nobody
>>        Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
>>   Component:  ui design    |    Version:
>> Resolution:               |   Keywords:  starter
>> --------------------------+---------------------
>> Changes (by jdreimann):
>>
>>   * keywords:   => starter
>>

>> Old description:
>>
>>> ,, ... via ''Bloodhound'' quick create ticket dialog,,
>> New description:
>>
>>   1. Currently the text {{{Create Ticket}}} in the Quick Ticket dialogue
>>   links to the full [https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/newticket
>>   /newticket] page. Users can't be expected to know this. I believe we
>>   should add some text to the {{{class="popover-title"}}} that links to the
>>   dialogue instead - see the attached screenshot of a change I made locally.
>>
>>   2. The most common thing I find myself doing after using Quick Ticket is
>>   to edit the resulting ticket to add a description. I believe we should
>>   should provide a small description field in the Quick Ticket dialogue (3
>>   rows?).
>>

> +1
>

>>   3. Thinking about what we could expect the average user to know, we should
>>   probably replace the **Version** dropdown with one for **Priority**. Few
>>   users will actively scheduled tickets, while many will have some idea of
>>   priority, even if it's just their own priority.
>>
>>   **The order of fields should then be:**
>>   1. Summary
>>   1. Description
>>   1. Type
>>   1. Component
>>   1. Priority
>>
>>   As an aside, I would question whether component should be a default field,
>>   happy to discuss this in the comments.
>>
> I think version needs to be there. For any ticket that is a bug, it is
> important to know which version!
> And for any project that does feature planning, version is important for
> all ticket types.

I would be happy with that. Associating a bug to a version, where they
are defined, should be available.

Components should be good too and we appear to be missing product from
the list.

> Ideally this should be user configurable but we could also auto-hide any
> fields for which there are no values defined (id a project does not use
> components, don't show them).

Perhaps, in the long run, we should make these things configurable based
on permissions for a given project. That could make it local policy to
say whether an anonymous user (for instance) is allowed to set specific
aspects of tickets. This would probably have to extend into the
newticket interface too.

Hiding fields that are not available certainly makes sense.

Cheers,
Gary

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #234: Quick Ticket: link to /newticket, description and priority

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Joe Dreimann <joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com
> wrote:

> On 17 Oct 2012, at 17:00, Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> On 17/10/12 12:03, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> >> It gets interesting where really you want to raise a bug against
> multiple
> >> versions but it is not the end of the world. The main thing is that
> there
> >> is a prompt for a primary version to raise against - further versions
> would
> >> probably be expected to be noted in the description and those dealing
> with
> >> the ticket could then determine whether further tickets are needed.
> > I was just thinking about the multiple versions per ticket (bug) support.
> > This needs to be formal and not just a in-comment or in-description
> text. I
> > have some ideas how we could go about this but it is off topic for this
> > ticket. I'll start a separate discussion on the subject at some point in
> > the fure (opening multiple unrelated tickets should be good enough at the
> > moment).
>
> The most obvious answer or me would be to allow to select multiple
> versions in the field, similar to how Multiple Select works in the Chosen
> plugin:
> http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/
>
> - Joe

Ticket needs to be resolved for each individual version separately.
So we would need at least status per version. Then it might be better if we
stick to ticket per version (as what you have to do now) but link the
tickets together with special relation type (when we have ticket relations
going). From the UI perspective, we could still allow for bulk create of
these tickets by selecting multiple versions in the version field.

Re: ticket associated with multiple versions (Was: Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #234: Quick Ticket: link to /newticket, description and priority)

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.
On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> This needs to be as simple as checking multiple versions in multiselect
>> field.
>>
>> 3. Ticket data, workflow and search [MUST]
>>
>> All data (description, comments, attachements, standar and custom fields,
>> status and resolution) are by default NOT version specific. It menas that
>> they apply to all specified versions and there is no version specific
>> workflow
>>
>> Search can be done by "affects" and "fix" field like it does now over
>> version field. Search by "version" field should be changed to act like a
>> union of "affects" and "fix" fields.
>>
>> 4. Version specific data and workflow [NICE TO HAVE]
>>
>> This should only be available when user requests it specifically (by
>> following special recipe for creating version specific tickets). UI and
>> search support for this can be very limited as cases that require version
>> specific data and workflow are normally very rare and are usually taken
>> care off by creating multiple unrelated tickets anyway.
>>
>> 5. Version specific resolution and verification [NICE TO HAVE]
>>
>> If user so chooses he should be able to track version specific resolutions
>> and verifications. This should only be available if users marks the ticket
>> as such and must not interfere with usability when not selected. This does
>> not change the ticket workflow, it only gives the ability to enter version
>> specific resolution and verification.
>>
>> As the ticket workflow and versions are not directly tied to the per
>> version resolutions, search functions as is. The usefulness of version
>> specific resolutions would benefit from search extensions that allows
>> versions search narrowing by specifying that one is only interested in
>> opened/resolved/verified versions.
>>
>> Additionally a strict mode can be offered that would not allow for ticket
>> to be closed until all versions are resolved beforehand.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Now which of these do we want to implement and how is another metter
>> entirely...
>> Point 1 needs to be solved in-ticket. I would also take that approach for
>> everything else except number 4 which has ticket relations written all
>> over
>> it, but would not provide any special support on top of relations at the
>> beginning.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Well, I immediately do not like the idea that we must make a distinction
> between ticket types. This is before looking at the technical difficulty of
> actually telling the difference between a bug tickets and another sort (or
> even what happens when it changes between ticket types). Who are we to say
> that this functionality is only available and useful for defects? Why can't
> a task or an enhancement be something that we want to perform on multiple
> versions? Whilst we might expect that it is most likely to be used for
> defects, I don't think that such a distinction is helpful.

I need to clarify. I was not trying to say that multiversion is only for
defects but that differentiation between affects and fixes version fileds
(both multiselect) apply to defects only. But you may be right and it would
be unwise to impose different behavior based on ticket type.

> I note that a fix version field would not be required in a multi-ticket
> approach as any version that should not be covered would either not be
> created or would be closed as wont-fix or similar.

Not sure I follow you here. Not required as not required for user to eneter
or not required as not needed to implement? Both are needed
to differentiate the version in which some bug appears vs. the version in
which the bug is fixed. From the ticket
workflow/resolution perspective, the "fix versions" field is the one that
it matters (and that is the current Trac's version field). That is why I
was suggesting that the "affected" field applies mostly to defects.

> For me, if the problem is small enough to deal with within a single ticket
> then there is relatively little reason for the support that all this gives.
> If there is a lot of work with a fix to be created and careful porting of
> fixes back to other versions, along with any code review and testing that
> implies, then these are better off as separate tickets, linked by a
> relationship. Independent scheduling of the porting work would seem to be
> important, for instance, which implies that it should be possible to set
> each version to be ported to a milestone independently, which itself is
> likely to be set based on a priority field.
>
> At the moment I am really struggling to see this feature as being useful
> enough to spend time developing such a comprehensive solution. To me there
> does not seem to be enough value in it when we could look at providing
> enhancements that are more generic to all relationships instead.

Requirement nr.4 does just that and can be added on it's own even if don't
do anything else. However it is a heavyweight solution that brings a new
set of problems that can be avoided when a lightweight (nr. 1,2 and 3)
solution would do (please keep in mind that at least theoretically this
first three points can be implemented on top of ticket relations as well,
wether that would be sensible I would doubt it). I have already marked nr.
5 as a nice-to-have anyway.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 19/10/12 12:11, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2012, at 21:35, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>
>> I had considered that but you would probably have to list out tasks within a ticket to cover per task workflow, wouldn't you?
> I don't believe there should be a per task workflow. It should be a ticket if it's big enough to need a workflow.

I agree with that entirely. In addition I think it is generally better
to be able to state that the work associated with a particular version
is complete with the closure of a ticket having gone through the
workflow that the project specifies.

I think the idea of ticket substructure can probably work well but I am
wary of using it for this purpose which may encourage users to shortcut
local policy.

>> This is why I was thinking of making use of structure around tickets for relationships that we are going to support anyway.
>>
>> Also, are we expecting that users might sometimes create tickets separately that should be joined by a multi version relationship? Would you pull them into a single ticket and mark the others as invalid?
> That should be entirely up to the user.

.. or local normal procedures, and I think we may want to help them with
either choice.

>> Can we envisage a way of having a ticket like interface to summarise a set of related tickets?
> We have a few of these already: Products, Versions, Milestones. They are like tickets in some ways, but their main purpose is to group tickets. We could introduce kilometre-stones for a smaller measure⸮
>
> - Joe

If I were just talking about displaying a list of tickets, that would be
easy - we will eventually be able to provide a way to construct a query
which would show these specific relationships in a dashboard like
focused view, but this is not really what I am talking about.

Essentially tickets with ticket relations specified might be considered
to have common conversations, particularly in a master ticket which, it
might be argued, is worth displaying on subtickets of a given relation
type. You could also argue that it might be worth allowing the master
ticket of a relation to be expandable to show the subticket data in some
way.

The alternative I was suggesting before was more about allowing tickets
to remain simpler whilst being able to get a view of the conversation

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
I had considered that but you would probably have to list out tasks within a ticket to cover per task workflow, wouldn't you? This is why I was thinking of making use of structure around tickets for relationships that we are going to support anyway.

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

"Peter Koželj" <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

>that
>versions
>dealing
>needed.
>in-description
>> text.
>for this
>point
>> in
>enough at
>> Chosen

>> [...]
>> >
>> > In my case, I am not so much concerned with how it looks as much as
>how
>> > it would be supported by the model. Depending on the way things
>> > currently work, we might want to use a fresh field rather than
>subvert
>> > the use of the current version field.
>> >

>> Two suggestions ...
>>
>> 1. custom fields
>> 2. keywords ... or something similar ;)
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Olemis.
>>
>> Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
>> Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Featured article:
>>

>Ticket needs to be resolved for each individual version separately. So
>we
>would need at least status per version.
>And when the solutions for different versions must be different, one
>would
>also appreciate separate descriptions, comments... (but I am not sure
>this
>is common enough that it would warent special support).
>
>We could stick to ticket per version (as what you have to do now) but
>link
>the tickets together with special relation type (when we have ticket
>relations going). Basically what Gary is suggesting with subtickets but
>build on top of the ticket relation concept (parent/child, duplicate,
>version subticket,...) that we need to establish first.
>
>From the UI perspective, we could still allow for bulk create of these
>tickets by selecting multiple versions in the version field and provide
>the
>user with ability of on overview of all the linked tickets. Again, also
>built on top of ticket relations.
>
>Personally I am still not decided whether I would rather see multiple
>versions per ticket or version specific subtickets. But I do need the
>ability to resolve them separately.
>
>Peter

For me it would have to be a user choice as to whether a multi version ticket should be split or treated as a single entity. In the latter case I would be happy with a single resolution.

Cheers,
    Gary

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 10/17/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 17/10/12 17:15, Joe Dreimann wrote:
>> On 17 Oct 2012, at 17:00, Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:

>>> I was just thinking about the multiple versions per ticket (bug)
>>> support.
>>> This needs to be formal and not just a in-comment or in-description text.
>>> have some ideas how we could go about this but it is off topic for this
>>> ticket. I'll start a separate discussion on the subject at some point in
>>> the fure (opening multiple unrelated tickets should be good enough at
>>> the
>>> moment).
>> The most obvious answer or me would be to allow to select multiple
>> versions in the field, similar to how Multiple Select works in the Chosen
>> plugin:
>> http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/
>>
>> - Joe

[...]

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 17/10/12 17:15, Joe Dreimann wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2012, at 17:00, Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>wrote:
>>
>>> On 17/10/12 12:03, Ryan Ollos wrote:
>>> It gets interesting where really you want to raise a bug against multiple
>>> versions but it is not the end of the world. The main thing is that there
>>> is a prompt for a primary version to raise against - further versions would
>>> probably be expected to be noted in the description and those dealing with
>>> the ticket could then determine whether further tickets are needed.
>> I was just thinking about the multiple versions per ticket (bug) support.
>> This needs to be formal and not just a in-comment or in-description text. I
>> have some ideas how we could go about this but it is off topic for this
>> ticket. I'll start a separate discussion on the subject at some point in
>> the fure (opening multiple unrelated tickets should be good enough at the
>> moment).
> The most obvious answer or me would be to allow to select multiple versions in the field, similar to how Multiple Select works in the Chosen plugin:
> http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/
>
> - Joe

Sorry to start the new thread early Peter.. It is not a high priority at
the point but I am happy to discuss while it is fresh in my mind.

In my case, I am not so much concerned with how it looks as much as how
it would be supported by the model. Depending on the way things
currently work, we might want to use a fresh field rather than subvert
the use of the current version field.

I would not be restricting this to bugs, by the way. Tasks and
enhancements are equally valid in this discussion where a project is
maintaining multiple versions of a product.

Perhaps off topic again but.. Given this ability to be a part of
multiple versions, would it be appropriate to offer the possibility of
generating tickets for the individual versions, perhaps with the new
tickets as sub tickets of the original?

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #234: Quick Ticket: link to /newticket, description and priority

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I think version needs to be there. For any ticket that is a bug, it is
>> important to know which version!
>> And for any project that does feature planning, version is important for
>> all ticket types.
>>

> I would be happy with that. Associating a bug to a version, where they are
> defined, should be available.

+1 ... having a user report a bug without a version is almost always
undesirable, so at least we should put the Version field right in front of
them.

> Components should be good too and we appear to be missing product from the
> list.
>

>> Ideally this should be user configurable but we could also auto-hide any
>> fields for which there are no values defined (id a project does not use
>> components, don't show them).
>>

> Perhaps, in the long run, we should make these things configurable based
> on permissions for a given project. That could make it local policy to say
> whether an anonymous user (for instance) is allowed to set specific aspects
> of tickets. This would probably have to extend into the newticket interface
> too.

I also like the idea of having TICKET_VIEW_<FIELD> and TICKET_EDIT_<FIELD>
permissions. One use case is, in the past, I've had the need to restrict
who can assign the milestone, and I suspect this would be common in
organization for which only the configuration control board or project
manager should be able to set the ticket milestone. Similarly, we have a