Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <le...@katasoft.com> on 2010/07/20 23:15:49 UTC

First time Apache Directory user - can't see custom partition?

Hi all,

I just installed Apache Directory Studio 1.5.7, and created a new
Apache Directory Server instance.  Before starting the server
instance, I edited it's configuration in the Studio UI and added a
custom partition (dc=test,dc=com).

I started the server, created a connection, and opened the DIT in the
LDAP Browser panel on the left side of ADS.  This is what I see:

DIT
----Root DSE (3)
--------ou=schema (19)
--------ou=system(5)

However, my view does not match the documentation here:

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/143-adding-your-own-partition-resp-suffix.html

The documentation shows a globe icon next to the dc=example,dc=com
partition.  But in my fresh install, I don't see that icon for the
'example' partition or my new 'test' partition.

Why aren't the example and test partitions displaying like shown in
the documentation?  Did I do something wrong?

--
Les Hazlewood
CTO, Katasoft, Inc.

Re: First time Apache Directory user - can't see custom partition?

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@katasoft.com>.
Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks so much for clarifying!

For posterity, for anyone else doing this through Studio, I added it
by doing the following:

- Right-clicking the 'Root DSE' node --> New --> New Context Entry.
- I then chose 'Create entry from scratch'
- I then added Object Classes 'dcObject' and 'organization' (which
automatically include 'top') and clicked 'Next'
- DN Context Entry: dc=example,dc=com and clicked 'Next'
- Double-clicked the 'o' (organization) value column, and entered the
value 'Example, Inc.'
- clicked Finish

Also, great work on Directory Studio!

Best,

--
Les Hazlewood
CTO, Katasoft, Inc.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
  On 7/20/10 11:15 PM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi, Les,