Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Jack McCluskey via dev <de...@beam.apache.org> on 2023/05/16 19:39:41 UTC

Repository Deletion Postmortem

Hey everyone,

Now that 2.47.0 is out, I've got a short write-up on how the repository was
very briefly deleted back when I was cutting the release branch at
https://s.apache.org/beam-repo-deletion-postmortem. This includes the rough
order of operations, the recovery, and then the action items that came from
the experience. It's a very good sign that between Danny McCormick and
myself we were able to knock out two of the three core action items pretty
soon after we got history restored in the repository. As we continue to
improve and simplify the release process we'll hopefully find fewer and
fewer avenues for big issues to pop up.

Thanks,

Jack McCluskey

--

Jack McCluskey
SWE - DataPLS PLAT/ Dataflow ML

Re: Repository Deletion Postmortem

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for follow-up on this, it should be helpful.

> The git revert command was used to create a revert commit. However, the created commit deleted the entire repository.

Do you have an idea what was a command and how it could deleted the entire repository?

I’m asking about this to find a potential solution how we may protect ourself against this in the future.

—
Alexey