Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de> on 2005/04/07 22:15:21 UTC

Re[2]: simple-conf ready for merge

At 6. April 2005, Bill wrote:

WARJ> At 12:53 PM 4/6/2005, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>>One last thought: do we really need 'UseCanonicalName Off' - isn't
>>our unset default equivalent?  Same goes for HostnameLookups (the
>>unset default is Off).  IMHO, these seem more appropriate for
>>httpd-default.conf.  -- justin

WARJ> The reason not to drop them is that when the gods of httpd
WARJ> (dev@httpd) decide to change their minds about the 'default'
WARJ> choice, it doesn't harm existing installations which were
WARJ> explicitly configured tested and deployed.

I remember my first steps with http and Apache. UseCanonnicalName has
been one of the directives, I did not understand for a long time. I did
not know how to test the different settings and did not understand their
meaning (Yes, I have been a real newbie ... a very long time ago *g*)
But I remember that I thought a lot about, how to set it. I thought, "it
is listed in the default conf, so it must be important and I should
decide its setting".

Well, imho UseCanonicalName is a directive to confuse new users. The
default setting is fine. And it will also be fine, if we change it,
because we will have a good reason then, won't we?

+1 to kick this this directive from our default conf.

Kess