Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jake Maizel <ja...@soundcloud.com> on 2011/11/02 12:46:54 UTC

Upgrading to 1.0

Hello,

We run a medium sized cluster of 12 nodes on 0.6.13 and would like to move
to 1.0.  What's the best practices for this?  Can we do a rolling upgrade
or does the entire cluster need to be upgraded at once?

Regards,

Jake

--
Jake Maizel
Head of Network Operations

Mail & GTalk: jake@soundcloud.com
Skype: jakecloud

Rosenthaler strasse 13, 101 19, Berlin, DE

Re: Upgrading to 1.0

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Jake Maizel <ja...@soundcloud.com> wrote:
> If we upgrade and want to use compression, how is the old data handled?
> Does it read and then write all sstables out to new compressed files one at
> a time or do something else?  I'm considering the storage require on top of
> what is needed for the existing data.

Any newly written sstable (from a memtable flush, compaction, etc)
will have compression enabled.  Since you'll need to scrub after
upgrading for streaming to work, this will result in all the sstables
being compressed.

-Brandon

Re: Upgrading to 1.0

Posted by Jake Maizel <ja...@soundcloud.com>.

Re: Upgrading to 1.0

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Upgrading to 1.0

Posted by Zhu Han <sc...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to know whether it is possible to upgrade from 0.6.13 to 1.0.x
directly, either.

Is there anything we should notice that "nodetool scrub" might not fix?