Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/09/29 21:26:06 UTC

[general] Using the HDK ( was Re: [general] jre and hdk snapshots posted to general snapshot site )

Just renaming the thread....

Re: [general] Using the HDK ( was Re: [general] jre and hdk snapshots posted to general snapshot site )

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Egor,

HARMONY-1673 is filed. I've tried both "-Xem:opt" & "-Xem:jet".

Regards,

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
> Wouldn't this be something nice to show people? :)

Well, it does not aligned with the current build system somehow, it
was just for my personal convenience. Build sources, build tests, run
all tests for the module  (bootclasspath & classpath), run the single
test of your choice, run tests with TestNG, convert TestNG test
results with JUnitConverter and even preprocess sources with the
Velocity compiler in order to remove unnecessary logging. :-)
Of course I can share it, if somebody is interested. No problem.

Thanks,

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
The same result with the "-Xem:opt". The exact command in my
environment was (WinXP SP2):

<==

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
> Is that reproducible on Linux? how does it run on pure OPT (-Xem:opt),
> JET?

I will check...

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
One minor question before suggest a patch: should we update HDK files on
each files changes or should not?

Both cases have pro and contra:

- if we update HDK files (module.jar and tests.jar) - we have ready-to-use
runtime that can be used to run some application without additional options
but to restore 'original' HDK ws should be synchronized with SVN and
rebuild;

- and vs: the HDK is stable but to run something  over updated classes we
should specified additional options to runtime.

So, the first case provides 'easy-to-use' capability but the second case
gives more stability. What is preferred?

And of cause, any solution should be documented :)

 thanks, Vladimir

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 10/2/06, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> <...>
>
> I think we need more than one tests.jar.  In fact, I think we need
> more than one tests.jar per module since some tests need to be on the
> bootclasspath while others do not (and should not).  At the moment
> it might be necessary to have more since there isn't really a way to
> distinguish api/internal tests (this might change if/when we move to
> testng).

Mark, could you please look on the
*HARMONY-984*<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-984>?
If accessibility.build.patch<http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12342238/accessibility.build.patch>is
OK I'll prepare similar updates for other modules.

 Thanks, Vladimir

<...>Regards,

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 10/2/06, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 29 September 2006 at 15:26, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>
> wrote:
> > Just renaming the thread....
> >
> > On Sep 29, 2006, at 9:17 AM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> >
> > > today I tries to build and test one module with HDK. It almost works
> > > :). Small instruction to reproduce:
> > >
> > > 1) checkout trunk -N, make and modules/<beans> dirs. Note, <beans>/
> > > build.xml
> > > refers to some staff in the make dir. Also, the luni-kernel and
> > > security-kernel modules should be checkout to hide errors:
> > > trunk\modules\beans\build.xml:80: Excludesfile
> > > trunk\deploy\build\patternsets\luni-kernel.txt not found.
> > > and
> > > C:\tmp\tmp30\trunk\modules\beans\build.xml:80: Excludesfile
> > > trunk\deploy\build\patternsets\security-kernel.txt not found.
> > >
> > > 2) run something like "ant -Dhy.jdk=C:\harmony\hdk\jdk -
> > > Dbuild.module=beans"
> > > from the 'trunk' directory to copy patternsets to the deploy dir.
> > > Note, this
> > > command will be failed on the check-dependency task.
> > >
> > > 3) set CLASSPATH=junit.jar;hdk\build\test\support.jar
> > >
> > > 4) go to the module dir (modules/beans in my case). That's all:
> > > module ready
> > > to use. You can press: ant -Dhy.jdk=hdk\jdk clean/build/test. Note,
> > > actually, the beans.jar in the HDK will be updated. It is OK?
> > >
> > > To do in the build system:
> > > - remove dependency on the luni-kernel and security-kernel modules
>
> I assumed that the dependency was on the patternsets (which could
> be removed see thread "[classlib] Trying to catch patternset errors
> earlier") and the stub jars.  These should just be part of the HDK.

Yes. According to 'error message' it is patterns.

> > > - add mode to rebuild module without HDK update (?)
>
> "add mode to rebuild without JDK update" might be simpler[0]?  would it
> be sufficient?  if not, why not?  (Some modules do update the hdk but
> these are generally files that would not change often - such as C
> header files that define an API which should be fairly stable.)

the run 'ant build' from module's dir leads to the message like:
trunk\modules\beans\build.xml:80: Problem creating jar:
trunk\deploy\jdk\jre\lib\boot\beans.jar (The system cannot find the path
specified) (and the archive is probably corrupt but I could not delete it)

If you run "ant build -Dhy.hdk=hdk/jdk" than modules.jar will be updated
into HDK.

Agree, coping all files from HDK to deploy dir should works fine.

> > > - add mode to run tests with build html-report for each module.
>
> Definitely +1.
>
> > > - add mode to run all tests from tests.jar over HDK+ updated classes.
> > > - ?
>
> I think we need more than one tests.jar.  In fact, I think we need
> more than one tests.jar per module since some tests need to be on the
> bootclasspath while others do not (and should not).  At the moment
> it might be necessary to have more since there isn't really a way to
> distinguish api/internal tests (this might change if/when we move to
> testng).

Almost all API tests can be run through the bootclasspath. May be we just
waiting for something like TestNG (or other solution) and will create one
test.jar for each module?

> We also need to ensure that properties.xml is available in the hdk -
> for access to the properties and the make macro.  (This is already
> on my todo list.)  I think we should probably create other macros
> to simplify the module build.xml files.  (For example, share the
> compile-tests/run-tests macros that are already defined in crypto, luni,
> rmi, security and x-net.)  This is also on my todo list.

The 'make' module is not big so it can be checkout together with module. But
it will be more convenient if to work with HDK user will need only HDK +
module.

> Also, since we've stated that when a module is change tests should
> be run on the module itself and it's immediate dependent modules, we
> really need a way to run other modules tests from a module.  This will
> be interesting due to the complexity of the test setup but might be
> slightly easier if the define common macros.

As the first step we can run all tests through the bootclasspath. Seems,
that 4 test.jar for each module are too many.

> This is probably something
> to keep in the back of our minds - I wouldn't let it stop us making
> progress.

If you need a help in the test of your changes - I'm a volunteer :)
 thanks, Vladimir

Regards,

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 2 October 2006 at 8:52, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if we can generate some kind of dependency graph as part of the
>> build, so that if testing in a module, it can figure out the set of
>> modules to test that are "n-away" dependent.  (IOW, test module + 1-away
>> because it's quick, then before checkin test module + 2-away [or all])
>
> I wondered about this for a different reason...
>
> I think it might be interesting to be able to automate this even in
> a fairy rough way since I'm interested to see what dependencies we
> are adding between our modules over time.  Since my impression (based
> on no real evidence) is that we perhaps aren't really giving it much
> thought.

I suspect you're right.  We need a Dependency Czar :)

geir

Re: [general] Using the HDK ( was Re: [general] jre and hdk snapshots posted to general snapshot site )

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 2 October 2006 at 8:52, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> I wonder if we can generate some kind of dependency graph as part of the
> build, so that if testing in a module, it can figure out the set of
> modules to test that are "n-away" dependent.  (IOW, test module + 1-away
> because it's quick, then before checkin test module + 2-away [or all])

I wondered about this for a different reason...

I think it might be interesting to be able to automate this even in
a fairy rough way since I'm interested to see what dependencies we
are adding between our modules over time.  Since my impression (based
on no real evidence) is that we perhaps aren't really giving it much
thought.

-Mark.

Re: [general] Using the HDK ( was Re: [general] jre and hdk snapshots posted to general snapshot site )

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mark Hindess wrote:

> I think we need more than one tests.jar.  In fact, I think we need
> more than one tests.jar per module since some tests need to be on the
> bootclasspath while others do not (and should not).  At the moment
> it might be necessary to have more since there isn't really a way to
> distinguish api/internal tests (this might change if/when we move to
> testng).

Yes, I think you are right,  and I think that this points to one of the
[predicted] challenges with using only annotations for test organization.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.