Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Jeffrey Zhong <jz...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/02/28 03:40:46 UTC

Proposal: Should we remove hadoop 1.0 build support in future major release

Hey,

Phoenix is an application built on top of hbase. It doesn't directly use
hadoop. The places it depends on hadoop one or two is in test code like
using HBaseMiniCluster. While during run time, Phoenix built with hadoop1
should work with a live hbase cluster running on hadoop2 and vice verse.
In addition, latest Hbase is now built on hadoop2 by default.

Just a thought when I was looking at pom today. If we can remove the
hadoop1.0 from build, we can clean our code structure and pom quite a bit.

Thanks,
-Jeffrey

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Proposal: Should we remove hadoop 1.0 build support in future major release

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

I think this is the right direction since we'd like to drop Hadoop 1
support upstream from you in HBase at some point, hopefully sooner than
later.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Jeffrey Zhong <jz...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Phoenix is an application built on top of hbase. It doesn't directly use
> hadoop. The places it depends on hadoop one or two is in test code like
> using HBaseMiniCluster. While during run time, Phoenix built with hadoop1
> should work with a live hbase cluster running on hadoop2 and vice verse.
> In addition, latest Hbase is now built on hadoop2 by default.
>
> Just a thought when I was looking at pom today. If we can remove the
> hadoop1.0 from build, we can clean our code structure and pom quite a bit.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeffrey
>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Proposal: Should we remove hadoop 1.0 build support in future major release

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
Let's just ping Lars too, as I don't want to get in a bind if we need h1
around for example to allow folks to migrate from Phoenix 2.2 directly to
Phoenix 4.0.

What do you think, Lars?

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.