Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gareth Slaven <ga...@envent.co.za> on 2003/06/30 00:39:16 UTC

[users@httpd] tcp Wrappers/Ip Sec

Hi there ...

I am trying to lock my Apache server down so that only certain ip's can
access my apache server ... I know there are two was to do it ...

1. TCP WRAPPERS

I have put my apache in the inetd.conf file and started the inetd server and
the apache daemon comes up but the hosts.deny file isn't being applied ...

2. IP Limiting

I have tried this but haven't had much luck with this I can't get it to work

Please can  someoen help me ... :)

Regards
Gareth Slaven

Re: [users@httpd] tcp Wrappers/Ip Sec

Posted by Garth Winter Webb <ga...@perijove.com>.
Using inetd to spawn apache is probably not what you want to do.  You
say you've tried "IP Limiting" but you haven't said what you mean by
that, what you did and why it didn't work.  Have you looked at the
directives supplied by 'mod_access'?

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_access.html

Your probably want something like this:

    <Directory /docroot>
        Order Deny,Allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 10.0.0
    </Directory>

which would deny access to all hosts except those with an IP address
beginning with '10.0.0'.  You can also list multiple full IP addresses
with separate 'Allow' statements if you need to let in more specific
addresses.

Garth Winter Webb <ga...@perijove.com>