Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Lionel PASQUIER <lp...@omnikles.com> on 2004/03/04 20:57:43 UTC

using JSTL 1.0.5 ExpressionEvaluatorManager for custom tags

Hello,

I am willing to create custom tags that have the expression evaluation of the JSTL 1.0.5.
I am using tomcat 4, JDK1.4, thus cannot switch to JSTL1.1 .

I found the org.apache.taglibs.standard.lang.support.ExpressionEvaluatorManager class that seems to be pretty cool. So I made my tags use it, but without success.
In my case I have a tag like:
<c:forEach begin="${0}" end="${labelssize - 1}" var="iteratecount">
	<mytags:selectitem table="${labels}" index="${iteratecount}" item="item">
</c:forEach>

where the bean "labels" contains a java.util.List .
selectitem is supposed to return in the bean named "item" the Object at index ${iteratecount} of labels.

So in the java code I put:
Object object = ExpressionUtil.evalNotNull("SelectItem", "table", table, List.class, this, pageContext);
*table being the String set by parameter table of cours*

which, unfortunatly returns an error:
"An error occurred while evaluating custom action attribute "table" with value "labels": Attempt to convert String "labels" to type "java.util.List", but there is no PropertyEditor for that type (null) "

Isn't ExpressionUtil.evalNotNull not supposed to returned the Object found behind the bean of resulting parsed String?

Maybe the org.apache.taglibs.standard.lang.support.ExpressionEvaluatorManager is not supposed to be used for custom tags?
Is there a howto about this?

I have also another question, but this might not be the best mailing list to ask this:
I am using taglibs with tomcat and struts. But I have a lot of logs that never show up anywhere :p (such as the taglib is not found, throws an error, or struts does not find the action, etc...).
Could you suggest me a link or two to help me figure out how to configure the stuff correctly?

Sorry if these questions have been asked many times already, but I could not find a suitable google answer...

Lionel