Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Sascha Fröhlich <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/31 11:36:52 UTC

Re: GSoC application

Hi,

I've decided not to apply this year, I think I've not much time left
this term.

BUT I am interested in contributing to james-mlm, perhaps I can complete
your work after GSOC.

Greetings,
Sascha Fröhlich

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Sascha Fröhlich <sa...@headcrash.net>.
Am Dienstag, den 01.04.2008, 19:12 +0100 schrieb Robert Burrell Donkin:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Sascha Fröhlich
> <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > STARTTLS or PGP/MIME sounds fine to me...
>
> great :-)
>
> when will do you think you'll be able to find some time?

Hi,

I've just printed the corresponding RFCs :-)

I think I'll read them this week and start next week.

Greetings,
Sascha Fröhlich

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Sascha Fröhlich <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I've decided not to apply this year, I think I've not much time left
>  this term.

oh well

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Jonas Arnsmann
<jo...@globolog.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>  > here are some ideas: shout if you like the sound of any of them
>  <snip>
>
>  >  * JPA backend
>  JPA = Java Persistence API, right?

yep

>  I have some in experience in this area, so i could maybe give a hand here..

great

hang around since it might be a week or two before we get to this...

>  > what i'm doing ATM is building up the functional test coverage (which
>  > can be used against any backend). these are quite neat and the scripts
>  > are created by a builder which you run against a known compliant
>  > implementation (dovecot, say). if you fancy taking a look at the
>  > specification and creating some test that try to break our
>  > implementation that'd be really great.
>
>  Sounds interesting.. I have not worked with a lot of testing frameworks so far
>  (except some basic junit stuff), but i'm always up for challenge..
>  If you could provide me with some more information on the current tasks, i
>  could get started in the next days..

we're trying to build up a big suite of functional tests. this will
allow alternative backend and frontend permutations to be tested for
compliance.

the framework works by reading a script of commands and expected
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/experimental-seda-imap-function/src/test/resources/org/apache/james/test/functional/imap/scripts/FetchMultipartMixed.test).
the commands are executed against a socket and the results compared.
more scripts are needed.

creating scripts by hand is good for some difficult areas but for
bullk coverage, it's best to automated.

take a look at org.apache.james.test.functional.CreateScript. it uses
ScriptBuilder to create test scripts by (running as an application)
against a known good IMAP implementation (preferrably dovecot). don't
worry about installing and configuring dovecot for testing: i can
easily run the script creation, the more valuable and effective
contribution you could make is by creating methods in CreateScript
which cabn discover problems with the implementation. ScriptBuilder is
not (yet) a feature complete client so you may need to add some more
operations but i think that should be relatively straightforward.

if you haven't done so yet, read
http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html and
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html then surf
http://www.apache.org and http://www.apache.org/dev.

 - robert

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Jonas Arnsmann <jo...@globolog.com>.
Hi,

Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> here are some ideas: shout if you like the sound of any of them
<snip>

>  * JPA backend
JPA = Java Persistence API, right?
I have some in experience in this area, so i could maybe give a hand here..

> what i'm doing ATM is building up the functional test coverage (which
> can be used against any backend). these are quite neat and the scripts
> are created by a builder which you run against a known compliant
> implementation (dovecot, say). if you fancy taking a look at the
> specification and creating some test that try to break our
> implementation that'd be really great.

Sounds interesting.. I have not worked with a lot of testing frameworks so far
(except some basic junit stuff), but i'm always up for challenge..
If you could provide me with some more information on the current tasks, i
could get started in the next days..

> if you are more interested in cryptography then there's a partially
> completed OpenPGP/MIME mailet which needs finishing
>
> BTW if you're anywhere within reach of amsterdam, we're going to be at
> http://www.eu.apachecon.com/eu2008/. the hackathon runs for the first
> two days (in parellel with the tutorials)

I would really love to join you guys at the Apachecon 2008, but i won't make
this year.. To many deadlines in the near future..
Maybe i can join you in 2009 ;)

Greetings,
Jonas Arnsmann

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>  <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Jonas Arnsmann
>  >  <jo...@globolog.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  <snip>
>  >
>  >
>  >  >  But if you have other tasks, which need a hand (or two?), i would also be willing to
>  >  >  face the challenge!
>  >
>  >  as it happens ;-)
>  >
>  >  after a long battle, we're just about feature complete for
>  >  IMAP4rev1/RFC2060. if you're interested in IMAP then this is a great
>  >  time to get involved: the long hard leg work is over and now we can
>  >  start look at more fun stuff :-)
>
>  <snip>
>

>  >  what i'm doing ATM is building up the functional test coverage (which
>  >  can be used against any backend). these are quite neat and the scripts
>  >  are created by a builder which you run against a known compliant
>  >  implementation (dovecot, say). if you fancy taking a look at the
>  >  specification and creating some test that try to break our
>  >  implementation that'd be really great.
>
>  oh yes - i'm also looking to create a secure initial handler with
>  features such as IP blacklisting
>
>  if parsing is of more interest then i have a number of TODOs on
>  mime4j, our mail parser

:-)

... and don't forget that we have our list of open issues at
  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES
and some basic stuff regarding contributing, such as
  http://james.apache.org/contribute.html

  Bernd

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Jonas Arnsmann
>  <jo...@globolog.com> wrote:
>
>  <snip>
>

>  >  But if you have other tasks, which need a hand (or two?), i would also be willing to
>  >  face the challenge!
>
>  as it happens ;-)
>
>  after a long battle, we're just about feature complete for
>  IMAP4rev1/RFC2060. if you're interested in IMAP then this is a great
>  time to get involved: the long hard leg work is over and now we can
>  start look at more fun stuff :-)

<snip>

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>  I had a Mina based frontend with TLS, (not STARTTLS), but as I lost tracking
>  the changes, which from my viewpoint created a more and more baroque
>  internal IMAP API/implementation, I've lost interest updating it, and adding
>  STARTTLS support. I hope in the future a simpler, and more accessible
>  implementation emerge from the myriads of module :-)

glad you're still on list :-)

the downside with retaining an existing architecture whilst rewriting
is there is a temporary rise in complexity. though the design remains
baroque, the complexity is now reducing.

i've been working hard on the functional test framework. this is
protocol based and so capable of ensuring quite different
implementations are compatible.

what i'd like to do sometime is factoring out a framework capable of
supporting multiple object-relational mapping layers from the torque
stuff. but the database design ATM is poor so that'll need fixing
first.

- robert

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin <
robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Jonas Arnsmann
> <jo...@globolog.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >  But if you have other tasks, which need a hand (or two?), i would also
> be willing to
> >  face the challenge!
>
> as it happens ;-)
>
> after a long battle, we're just about feature complete for
> IMAP4rev1/RFC2060. if you're interested in IMAP then this is a great
> time to get involved: the long hard leg work is over and now we can
> start look at more fun stuff :-)
>
> here are some ideas: shout if you like the sound of any of them
>
>  * a STARTTLS implementation for IMAP4rev1/RFC3501
>  * choose an extension specification:
>   * IDLE
>   * LANGUAGE
>   * UNSELECT
>   * QUOTA
>   * WITHIN
>  * Mina frontend
>  * JPA backend
>  * Jackrabbit backend
>  * Servlet frontend
>  * SEDA

I had a Mina based frontend with TLS, (not STARTTLS), but as I lost tracking
the changes, which from my viewpoint created a more and more baroque
internal IMAP API/implementation, I've lost interest updating it, and adding
STARTTLS support. I hope in the future a simpler, and more accessible
implementation emerge from the myriads of module :-)

BR,
 Zsombor

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<jo...@globolog.com> wrote:

<snip>

>  But if you have other tasks, which need a hand (or two?), i would also be willing to
>  face the challenge!

as it happens ;-)

after a long battle, we're just about feature complete for
IMAP4rev1/RFC2060. if you're interested in IMAP then this is a great
time to get involved: the long hard leg work is over and now we can
start look at more fun stuff :-)

here are some ideas: shout if you like the sound of any of them

 * a STARTTLS implementation for IMAP4rev1/RFC3501
 * choose an extension specification:
   * IDLE
   * LANGUAGE
   * UNSELECT
   * QUOTA
   * WITHIN
 * Mina frontend
 * JPA backend
 * Jackrabbit backend
 * Servlet frontend
 * SEDA

if you have time and want a challenge in a hot area then take a look
at http://www.lemonadeformobiles.com/

Re: GSoC application

Posted by Jonas Arnsmann <jo...@globolog.com>.
Hi..

Same thing over here..
I have also decided NOT to take part in the GSOC 2008 (tight schedule in the university
this summer), however i would still like to contribute to the James Project..
Enhancing the James-MLM after Kirill's Work is completed sounds good to me.. ;)