Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/06/12 21:28:01 UTC

[DRAFT] Update notifications for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 Installations

I'm proposing to send the following note out to ooo-announce and
ooo-users.    We should be making such information available for
admins and others who support OOo installations.  We probably should
have sent this out earlier, but better now than never.

Is there anything else we should add that would be off use to an admi?

For example, it is common for larger companies to disable such auto
updates for critical software.  Instead they prefer to test such
upgrades first, and then roll them out via a login script.   How would
an admin disable the notifications?

Regards,

-Rob

-------------------------------------

We have enabled the upgrade notification server for OpenOffice.org
3.3.0.  By default OOo 3.3.0 checks for updates once a week.  When an
upgrade is available, a dialog pops up and notifies the user about the
update, and directs them to a website where they can learn more and
download Apache OpenOffice 3.4.

The update notifications are HTTP GET requests to an openoffice.org
address, using standard ports and protocols. So no special
administrative action should be required to enable receipt of these
notifications.

If you are an OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 user and have not received an
upgrade notification yet, you can manually check via the "Help/Check
for Upgrades" menu item in OpenOffice.  Or, go directly to
http://download.openoffice.org to download Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0.

Re: [DRAFT] Update notifications for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 Installations

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 12.06.2012 21:28, Rob Weir wrote:
> I'm proposing to send the following note out to ooo-announce and
> ooo-users.    We should be making such information available for
> admins and others who support OOo installations.  We probably should
> have sent this out earlier, but better now than never.
>
> Is there anything else we should add that would be off use to an admi?
>
> For example, it is common for larger companies to disable such auto
> updates for critical software.  Instead they prefer to test such
> upgrades first, and then roll them out via a login script.   How would
> an admin disable the notifications?
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> We have enabled the upgrade notification server for OpenOffice.org
> 3.3.0.  By default OOo 3.3.0 checks for updates once a week.  When an
> upgrade is available, a dialog pops up and notifies the user about the
> update, and directs them to a website where they can learn more and
> download Apache OpenOffice 3.4.
>
> The update notifications are HTTP GET requests to an openoffice.org
> address, using standard ports and protocols. So no special
> administrative action should be required to enable receipt of these
> notifications.
>
> If you are an OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 user and have not received an
> upgrade notification yet, you can manually check via the "Help/Check
> for Upgrades" menu item in OpenOffice.  Or, go directly to
> http://download.openoffice.org to download Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0.

good idea to announce the availability of our OOo 3.3 update service.

I will continue to get the OOo 3.3 update service functional for as most
languages and platform combinations as possible.

Best regards, Oliver.