Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Quan tran hong <qu...@gmail.com> on 2023/12/15 11:45:45 UTC

Re: Building a PostgreSQL mailbox for James?

Hi everyone,

Yet another following up on our recent Postgres work.

In the last sprint, our team successfully migrated the mailbox core module
`apache-james-mailbox-postgres` fully from JPA to Postgres. We did some
performance tests with the IMAP server backed by Postgres-app and the
result was very impressive: postgres-app outperformed JPA about 20 times
(at least look at the 99 percentile) with even less resource usage (CPU and
memory) compared to the jpa-app. For more details:
https://github.com/linagora/james-project/issues/4936

We are working on an ADR to explain our schema decision on the core tables
like mailbox and message tables, and also solving the flags concurrently
update issue.

In the coming time, we plan to:
- Migrate other remaining minor components from JPA code to Postgres.
- Plug the RabbitMQ, S3, OpenSearch into the Postgres-app.
  On that, we would try to implement alternative implementations with
Postgres e.g. BlobStore backed by Postgres. We would provide configurable
module choosers so users are free to choose the implementation.

Best regards,

Quan

Vào Th 2, 27 thg 11, 2023 vào lúc 19:55 Benoit TELLIER <
btellier@apache.org> đã viết:

Posted by Benoit TELLIER <bt...@apache.org>.
Hi Quan!

Thanks for the initiative of the follow up!

 > To have a look at the planned tickets, please visit
https://github.com/linagora/james-project/issues.
We cannot expect people from the community to read a Linagora specific
bugtracker

IMO we should sum up the planned tickets for JMAP onto the dedicated
JIRA ticket on Apache James bugtracker:
  - Detail the implementation strategy
    (spawn a JMAP server on top of PG as fast as possible, using memory
storage where needed,
     then removing the mempry code in favor of newly written PG code)
  - List the tasks and interfaces to implement - not sure we need to
give all details all of the time though...
  - Detail specific mechanism (I am thinking to EventStore
transactionnality, data expiracy ie TTLs, etc...)

This would make it easier to follow the PG work and have people
eventually provide feedback.

Best regards,

Benoit TELLIER

Posted by Quan tran hong <qu...@gmail.com>.