Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brian C <br...@berkeley.edu> on 2005/11/21 20:12:58 UTC

[users@httpd] Virtual Hosts behind Firewall Router

Hi,

My network looks like this:

[Internet]

[Static IP:64.x.x.x]

[router/firewall:192.168.0.1]
[port 80 traffic]___[port 53 traffic]_______[??nothing yet??]
______|____________________|______________________|_____________
[main srvr:192.168.0.5|DNS srvr:192.168.0.6|NEW srvr:192.168.0.9]

The main server runs Apache 2.0 on OpenSuse and uses name-based virtual
hosts to host about 5 low-traffic web sites. The DNS server runs BIND.

Now I want to run a new website on the new server, which also runs
Apache. However, all my port 80 traffic is routed to the main server.
So, how can I send requests for www.newwebsite.com to the new server
rather than having it end up at the main server? What would I change in
the main server's vhosts config (if anything), what would the new
server's vhosts config look like, and would any of this impact my DNS
files?

If it creates an easier solution, I wouldn't even care if the new
server's address had to be www.newwebsite.com:## where ## was some
unused port, because the newwebsite is going to be password protected
for just my own use anyway.

Also, if it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, that's a false
impression. Please explain things with lots of details. I barely figured
out the above.

Thanks for any advice. I hope the picture above is clear.

Brian