Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Skip Carter <sk...@taygeta.com> on 2002/07/09 20:21:05 UTC

Re: mod_webapp or mod_jk?

> I've found a nasty problem with mod_webapp (Apache 1.3.24, Tomcat 4.0.4b3): sometimes (say, 5% of requests) the communications
> between the two servers (the web-server was on a Solaris box, the application-server on another Solaris box) went down.
> This problems disappeared when we used mod_jk.

  Considering that I recently switched over to mod_webapp from mod_jk this is
scary to hear
  (so far I have not noticed this problem with Apache 1.3.26, Tomcat 4.0.4b2
on Linux).

> About the second question, you have some options, which are reported in the 2.0.3 FAQ:
> 1) Use mod-rewrite for an all-apache solution
> 2) Set cocoon as the root context of Tomcat (and redicte every root request to Tomcat, of course)
>
> After a long soul-searching... I chose the latter :)

  I am also doing #2, (with mod_webapp so the apache conf file has a
  WebAppDeploy cocoon   warpConnection /   for the virutal host).

  But I have one question that somebody may have a suggestion for.

  How do I support legacy CGI ?

  I am currently doing this with a sitemap entry to redirect to a virtual
Apache server
  that is specifically for the purpose of handling cgi:

       <map:match pattern="cgi-bin/*">
               <map:redirect-to uri="http://cgiserver.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/{1}"
/>
       </map:match>

  This works, but is there a cleaner way ?

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: skip@taygeta.com

Re: mod_webapp or mod_jk?

Posted by leo leonid <te...@leonid.de>.

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 08:21  Uhr, Skip Carter wrote:

>> I've found a nasty problem with mod_webapp (Apache 1.3.24, Tomcat
>> 4.0.4b3): sometimes (say, 5% of requests) the communications
>> between the two servers (the web-server was on a Solaris box, the
>> application-server on another Solaris box) went down.
>> This problems disappeared when we used mod_jk.
>>

>   Considering that I recently switched over to mod_webapp from mod_jk
> this is
> scary to hear
>   (so far I have not noticed this problem with Apache 1.3.26, Tomcat
> 4.0.4b2
> on Linux).

With Linux a can reassure you. I experimented a lot with all the tomcat
4.x.x
and several mod_webapp versions. I finally found a constellation which is
is very reliable, and where you can restart tomcat with no need to
restart
apache-httpd as well. On a RH 6.2 I use
	apache-httpd  1.2.26
	tomcat 4.0.4 (final)
	mod_wepapp 4.1.3 (from CVS)

>> About the second question, you have some options, which are reported
>> in the 2.0.3 FAQ:
>> 1) Use mod-rewrite for an all-apache solution
>> 2) Set cocoon as the root context of Tomcat (and redicte every root
>> request to Tomcat, of course)
>>
>> After a long soul-searching... I chose the latter :)
>
>   I am also doing #2, (with mod_webapp so the apache conf file has a
>   WebAppDeploy cocoon   warpConnection /   for the virutal host).
>
>   But I have one question that somebody may have a suggestion for.
>
>   How do I support legacy CGI ?
>
>   I am currently doing this with a sitemap entry to redirect to a
> virtual
> Apache server
>   that is specifically for the purpose of handling cgi:
>
>        <map:match pattern="cgi-bin/*">
>                <map:redirect-to
> uri="http://cgiserver.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/{1}"
> />
>        </map:match>
>

>   This works, but is there a cleaner way ?

I don't know if it is 'cleaner', but as an alternative you can
put/leave a
	ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/path/to/cgi-bin/"
inside your <VirtualHost> and you only pass requests like /xml/* to
cocoon.
	WebAppDeploy cocoon   warpConnection /xml

/Leo