Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by fatefree <fa...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/24 17:01:00 UTC

Usability question for a birthdate DropDownChoice

I'm just curious to hear some thoughts about the usability of selecting your
birthdate on a form. Unfortunately the date picker doesn't seem to be the
best solution because of the year requirement, so that leaves a combo of a
month/day/year drop down choices or a textfield looking for a specific date
format.

While I would prefer a textfield because its easier to bind a value, and can
be ajax validated immmediately, the disadvantage it has (besides requiring a
specific format) is that different countries have different date formats, so
it might be confusing for an internationlized form.

Drop downs make it at little easier (but slower) for users, but has some
technical disadvantages. For one its less friendly to use ajax validation
since they need to select all 3 before we should show a validation error.
(An onblur after the first drop down saying the date is invalid doesnt make
much sense) And also we need to bind the values to three different objects
and contruct a date later. Is there any sort of a GroupDropDownChoice that
addresses this like there is for check boxes and radio buttons? I'd be
interested to hear how people have handled something like this

Re: Usability question for a birthdate DropDownChoice

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
this can be implementing as a formcomponentpanel that contains 3 drop
down choices inside. nothing too complicated, in fact i think there
are examples somewhere on the wiki or in the archives of this list.

-igor