Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Bud Oliver <bu...@shaw.ca> on 2014/11/12 21:41:21 UTC

Re: Can't open OpenOffice files

Greetings:
I am 77 and  not very computer literate but have been using OO for some
time word processing etc.  I downloaded 4,01 Beta  and then 4.01 which I
have been using fine.  I was waiting a bit before downloading the last
update.
Today, I deleted the Beta because it was not needed but I have now found
that I can't open my open office files.  I tried the "open with"
approach and now can open some of the files with Word Pad which must
have been on the computer when I got it about a year ago.
I had been following the discussion about some folks having this type of
problem and it was suggested to put in a new user profile. I have
followed the directions down get  to "Appdata" but cannot find the
"user" file in the list.
I do hope that there is help out there for me to get me on the right track.
I have a H.P.  64 bit  Windows 7 with 4 GB  Ram
Thanks,
Bud

--
"Don't find fault, find a remedy." -- Henry Ford

RE: Can't open OpenOffice files

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
It sounds like you deleted the only version that was actually installed.  4.01 would have installed atop 4.01 Beta.

How did you remove it?  Did you use Uninstall in the Windows Control Panel tool for Removing Programs?

I suggest you simply download 4.1.1 and install it now.  That will also repair the file associations.  (WordPad also opens ODF files).

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
There are many ways to do it.
a) Re-install OpenOffice over itself.
b) Manually assign the file-type to the program.

The first one is a bit more intrussive but is faster. The second one
will be safer but will take more steps.

File association relies on the Operating system and NOT on OO. So the
steps has to happen in windows.

To perform the file association follow this steps:
- Go to Control Panel on Windows
- Go to Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations.
Select a file type in the list and click Change Program.
- Select the extensions you neeed (doc, docx, odt -> OpenOffice Writer, etc)
For further details go here:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-file-associations-windows

On 11/12/14, Bud Oliver <bu...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Greetings:
> I am 77 and  not very computer literate but have been using OO for some
> time word processing etc.  I downloaded 4,01 Beta  and then 4.01 which I
> have been using fine.  I was waiting a bit before downloading the last
> update.
> Today, I deleted the Beta because it was not needed but I have now found
> that I can't open my open office files.  I tried the "open with"
> approach and now can open some of the files with Word Pad which must
> have been on the computer when I got it about a year ago.
> I had been following the discussion about some folks having this type of
> problem and it was suggested to put in a new user profile. I have
> followed the directions down get  to "Appdata" but cannot find the
> "user" file in the list.
> I do hope that there is help out there for me to get me on the right track.
> I have a H.P.  64 bit  Windows 7 with 4 GB  Ram
> Thanks,
> Bud
>
> --
> "Don't find fault, find a remedy." -- Henry Ford

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor