Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Remedy QA <re...@yahoo.com> on 2004/06/04 01:15:23 UTC

How throughput is calculated

I am a bit confused as to how JMeter calculates the
throughput of each type of HTTP Request.

My jmeter.properties setting has the default
sampleresult.timestamp.start=true
which is suppose to log the timestamp of when a HTTP
Request starts in the .JTL file.

So for example, I have the following results in csv
format
TIMESTAMP|TIME|LABEL|RESPONSE CODE|RESPONSE MSG|THREAD
NAME|DATATYPE|SUCCESS
1086285141198|10|Request 1|200|OK|Thread
Group1-2|text|true
1086285141248|40|Request 2|200|OK|Thread
Group1-2|text|true
1086285141258|20|Request 1|200|OK|Thread
Group1-1|text|true
1086285141309|51|Request 2|200|OK|Thread
Group1-1|text|true

JMeter calculates the throughput per second as
(count/howLongRunning) * 1000.0

The part where I'm confused about is the
howLongRunning time.  The source code says that the
total time passed is taken to be the timestamps of the
first and last samples.  The timestamps are suppose to
be the start time of each request, according to the
jmeter properties configuration.

So for Request 2, the last sample timestamp is 41309
while the timestamp for the first sample is 41248.
JMeter calculates by
(2 / (41309 - (41248 - 40))) * 1000.0

Why does it take the first sample and subtracts the
response time that it took to execute the first
Request 2?

I would think that instead, it should add the response
time of the last Request 2 to the Request 2 timestamp
(41309 + 51). That would actually be the time passed
from the first Request 2 to start and really end with
the last Request 2.

Is the timestamp really the start time of the request?

thanks,
mabel

Re: How throughput is calculated

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
When I say, "the code in cvs", that's my way of referring to the HEAD
branch and latest version.  Sorry.  The RunningSample.java class doesn't
even exist there anymore.  Look in SamplingStatCalculator.java.

-Mike

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 13:34, Remedy QA wrote:
> [...]
> excel is up to you.
>
> -Mike
>
> On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 16:05, Remedy QA wrote:
> Well, I was just trying to verify the calculations and wanted a
> smaller
> results file to handle.  But I did run it longer and the error
> margins
> get less significant.
>
> What do you mean the cvs code accounts for the time of the sample
> regardless of start or end timestamps?  If I were to export the
> results
> file to something like Excel and do the throughput calculations in
> there, would the timestamps be accurate?
>
> --- Michael Stover <mstover1@apache.orgwrote:
> If you're looking for throughput numbers, you should be running
> your
> test for a longer time than 40 ms.  Try running for 30 minutes
> and
> then
> see how much the error is.
>
> In any case, the code in cvs accounts for the time of the sample,
> whether your timestamp is at the start or end of the sample.
>
> -Mike
>
> On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 19:15, Remedy QA wrote:
> I am a bit confused as to how JMeter calculates the
> throughput of each type of HTTP Request.
>
> My jmeter.properties setting has the default
> sampleresult.timestamp.start=true
> which is suppose to log the timestamp of when a HTTP
> Request starts in the .JTL file.
>
> So for example, I have the following results in csv
> format
> TIMESTAMP|TIME|LABEL|RESPONSE CODE|RESPONSE MSG|THREAD
> NAME|DATATYPE|SUCCESS
> 1086285141198|10|Request 1|200|OK|Thread
> Group1-2|text|true
> 1086285141248|40|Request 2|200|OK|Thread
> Group1-2|text|true
> 1086285141258|20|Request 1|200|OK|Thread
> Group1-1|text|true
> 1086285141309|51|Request 2|200|OK|Thread
> Group1-1|text|true
>
> JMeter calculates the throughput per second as
> (count/howLongRunning) * 1000.0
>
> The part where I'm confused about is the
> howLongRunning time.  The source code says that the
> total time passed is taken to be the timestamps of the
> first and last samples.  The timestamps are suppose to
> be the start time of each request, according to the
> jmeter properties configuration.
>
> So for Request 2, the last sample timestamp is 41309
> while the timestamp for the first sample is 41248.
> JMeter calculates by
> (2 / (41309 - (41248 - 40))) * 1000.0
>
> Why does it take the first sample and subtracts the
> response time that it took to execute the first
> Request 2?
>
> I would think that instead, it should add the response
> time of the last Request 2 to the Request 2 timestamp
> (41309 + 51). That would actually be the time passed
> from the first Request 2 to start and really end with
> the last Request 2.
>
> Is the timestamp really the start time of the request?

Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>
Apache Software Foundation

Re: How throughput is calculated

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.

Posted by Remedy QA <re...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.

Re: JMeter uses $ in url as special character

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
You should be able to escape it with a '\', as in \$

-Mike