Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Ioa Kiss <ik...@ezuce.com> on 2011/10/20 20:52:35 UTC

Rave to work on top of another application/Rave DB system

Hi All,

  I am running some tests with Rave and I find it very interesting.

I was wondering about how Rave handles users/account. My understanding is
that Rave is a standalone portal, you create an account and then login and
manage your widgets. Is my assumption correct?

I would propose a use case where Rave is a portal that sits on top of
another application and therefore the accounts are uploaded and not created
by a user. Such uploading could happen in different ways.

1.       One way would be an LDAP connector with LDAP bind authentication
and the ability to upload profile data from LDAP.

2.       Another way would be openID where you authenticate against an
existing application that is an openID provider.  You then want to build an
ability to add a plugin that connects into a proprietary REST API to upload
profile data (i.e. when a user logs in for the first time using openID, the
account in Rave is automatically created and the profile data uploaded).
Once the account exists you have to be able to sync profile changes both
ways.

Another question is related to the database used by Rave. I noticed that
currently MySQL is used as database. I was wondering what do you think about
using a NoSQL DB with Rave? I think this would give Rave better scale and
the possibility for redundancy.

Thanks,

  Ioan

Re: Rave to work on top of another application/Rave DB system

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

But these are all good points, Ioan.  The initial user population process (for accounts canonical, john.doe, etc) is just for demonstration.  Adding LDAP would be great. Also the NoSQL backend would be nice.  I don't know how well Spring supports any of these, however.

Marlon

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Done.

Posted by "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>.

We started with JPA and an RDBMS because we assumed it would be the lowest common denominator for implementers.  We assumed pretty much everyone would already have a RDBMS of some type running in their datacenter, but weren't sure that would necessarily be true for NoSQL stores.

We very much want to be able to support NoSQL stores though and have been trying our best to keep the right extensibility points in the codebase and the object model clean enough to easily allow for it.

RE: Rave to work on top of another application/Rave DB system

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Personally, I would like to look at using a document store (like Mongo) for page & region widget instances and I know others in the community have their own desires for alternative persistence.  As Jesse said, we have tried to keep things as simple as extensible as possible, but I expect that we will always be tweaking things to support new use cases.

Re: Rave to work on top of another application/Rave DB system

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.
Hi Ioan,

On 20 October 2011 20:52, Ioa Kiss <ik...@ezuce.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>  I am running some tests with Rave and I find it very interesting.

Good to read :)

> I was wondering about how Rave handles users/account. My understanding is
> that Rave is a standalone portal, you create an account and then login and
> manage your widgets. Is my assumption correct?

For the demo setup this is true, but the login mechanism is configurable in
Spring security.

> I would propose a use case where Rave is a portal that sits on top of
> another application and therefore the accounts are uploaded and not created
> by a user. Such uploading could happen in different ways.
>
> 1.       One way would be an LDAP connector with LDAP bind authentication
> and the ability to upload profile data from LDAP.

Spring security supports LDAP, so that should be possible:
http://static.springsource.org/spring-security/site/docs/3.0.x/reference/ldap.html

> 2.       Another way would be openID where you authenticate against an
> existing application that is an openID provider.  You then want to build an
> ability to add a plugin that connects into a proprietary REST API to upload
> profile data (i.e. when a user logs in for the first time using openID, the
> account in Rave is automatically created and the profile data uploaded).
> Once the account exists you have to be able to sync profile changes both
> ways.

In the demo setup there's already OpenId configuration present. OpenId comes
out of the box with Spring security.

It is pretty easy to create a new user from an external source such as LDAP
or Shibboleth. I used
http://wiki.aaf.edu.au/aaf-mini-grants/tpac/shibboleth-integration-with-spring-securityas
a starting point of how to login with an external source and creating
new User in the database.

Another question is related to the database used by Rave. I noticed that
> currently MySQL is used as database. I was wondering what do you think
> about
> using a NoSQL DB with Rave? I think this would give Rave better scale and
> the possibility for redundancy.

The default database is H2, but it is possible to replace that with MySQL
(that's what's documented on the site). There's no specific reason why
there's no NoSQL support yet.

Jasha Joachimsthal

Europe - Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam - +31(0)20 522 4466
US - Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142 - +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)

www.onehippo.com