Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paolo Barolat-Romana <pm...@drexel.edu> on 2001/02/08 23:24:15 UTC

server.xml

This is the top of the web.xml file in the conf directory:

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Appliction
2.2//EN" "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">

As far as I know, the xml parser will look for the dtd and verify that the
xml file conforms to the description in the dtd.

Why doesn't the server.xml has such a declaration at the top?  Would that
make an xml parser fail?

Thanks,

Paolo

Re: server.xml

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Paolo Barolat-Romana wrote:

> This is the top of the web.xml file in the conf directory:

> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Appliction
> 2.2//EN" "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">
>
> As far as I know, the xml parser will look for the dtd and verify that the
> xml file conforms to the description in the dtd.

You must also tell the XML parser to do a "validating" parse if you want
this.  Otherwise, an non-validating parse is performed.  For example, Tomcat
3.x does not do a validating parse of web.xml files, but Tomcat 4.0 does.

> Why doesn't the server.xml has such a declaration at the top?  Would that
> make an xml parser fail?

No, it just means that you get a non-validating parse anyway.  For various
technical reasons (i.e. DTDs are not powerful enough), it is not possible to
create a DTD that completely describes the legal contents of a server.xml
file.

> Thanks,
>
> Paolo

Craig McClanahan