Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Hao Luo <hl...@twitter.com.INVALID> on 2018/03/01 22:02:48 UTC

Can't print complex columns

Hi,
    I have a parquet file with repetitive nested fields. The schema looks
like:

c:               OPTIONAL F:1
.c_tuple:    REPEATED F:3
..d:             OPTIONAL INT64 R:1 D:3
..e:             OPTIONAL BOOLEAN R:1 D:3
..f:              OPTIONAL BINARY O:UTF8 R:1 D:3

    When I try to dump the column c using parquet-tools, it prints nothing.
Dumping all columns will print out each of individual d, e and f column.

    I am wondering does parquet supports reading the complex type columns
without breaking it down into primitive columns?

Thanks.
Hao Luo

Re: Can't print complex columns

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
Hi Hao, you might want to try parquet-cli, which uses Parquet's Avro
support. That should be able to do what you're looking for.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer