Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Matteo Nasi <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/04 22:42:44 UTC

Re: Problem in running Pig in hadoop mode

Hi Anastasia,

I'm new to this technology too, but I had problems like you had, and now I
can connect to the cluster in MapReduce mode.
reading your post seems you didn't setup pig correclty, there a couple of
ways of doing it (I guess they're both equivalent):

- pig.properties
- hadoop cluster xml files (core, mapred, dfs)

they must be all placed in conf subdirectories of $PIG_HOME (the place where
you unpacked your pig distribution).
I suggest, doing this you can't miss it, to use xml files directly from your
hadoop conf dir. Anyway pig.properties should look something like  this
(corresponding what you have in xml conf files in hadoop):

fs.default.name=hdfs://master/
mapred.job.tracker=master:54311

Aftert that just run $PIG_HOME/bin/pig without options to run in MapReduce
mode (it's the default mode), and try to interactivly navigate some command
(ls, etc.) to see if you can reach HDFS.

I'm using hadoop 0.20.1 and pig 0.5.0, hope it helped, and maybe some expert
guy can be more accurate ;-)

ciao Matteo