Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by ma...@tumbleweed.com on 2001/11/05 06:09:04 UTC

Future Struts releases

It seems to me that we have reached the point where a sufficient number of
bugs have been fixed since Struts 1.0 to warrant the release of a Struts
1.0.1 patch. This will allow people to move on to a released version of
Struts to obtain these fixes, rather than having to build their own version
from the branch sources.

In addition, a lot has happened on the main trunk (nightly builds) since the
Struts 1.0 release. There have been many bug fixes, and there is substantial
new functionality. Looking at the ToDo list, however, it seems likely that
it will be quite some time before all of the functionality listed there will
be implemented, or even just the items for which volunteers are listed.

Again, in order to bring the new functionality to developers sooner, I
propose that we consider the release of a Struts 1.1 version in an earlier
timeframe. Struts 1.1 would not include all the proposed items on the ToDo
list, but rather a slimmed down list which we agree upon, and which we
believe can be completed in the relatively near term. The remaining items
would be incorporated in a later release (1.2 or 2.0).

Comments?

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Future Struts releases

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Going over the release notes, we would have the following "punchlist"
for a 1.1 release

+ Commons Packages
+ Jaxp 1.1
+ Unit Testing
+ ActionMessages
+ Indexed tags
+ logic:empty
+ Various fixes and refinements

which seems sufficient. (Heck, just the indexed tags would be sufficient
;-)

I'd like to make Tiles, ValidatorForm, and maybe Nik Hobb's Role Based
Actions to play a bigger role in a future release. But this might be
best done in cooperation with the ServiceManager, or equivalent. These
are easy enough to plug in now. Maybe there could be a way to bundled
these in as separate downloads.

So, I'd be +1 on someone proposing release plan at point.

If someone is in there, we should probably add Declarative Exceptions to
the TODO list, or do we want to try and slip that in now.

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Future Struts releases

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Ted Husted wrote:
> [Tiles,Validator]
>
> The next question is whether David and Cedric are interested in
> proposing their components to Taglibs or the Commons, or would prefer to
> leave them here. Your call, guys. I believe that you have both indicated
> an interest in broadening the audience for this components, so I say go
> for it. Of course, we would add both to the Users Guide, and may even
> end up requiring the JARs as we do for the Commons components.

Ooops, see that David started that process already. Just tossed his
proposal my binding +1 on the Commons list.

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Future Struts releases

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@lifl.fr>.

Ted Husted wrote:

> So, now that 1.0.1 is in the queue, we may want to make some decisions
> regarding 1.1.

> [Tiles,Validator]
>
> The next question is whether David and Cedric are interested in
> proposing their components to Taglibs or the Commons, or would prefer to
> leave them here. Your call, guys. I believe that you have both indicated
> an interest in broadening the audience for this components, so I say go
> for it. Of course, we would add both to the Users Guide, and may even
> end up requiring the JARs as we do for the Commons components.

I will propose Tiles to taglibs, but, as already said, I would like to let in
Struts an example combining Struts and Tiles. This example will replace actual
example/distribution.
  I am in the process of finalizing a new version, with the example.

> [JARs]
>
> How do people feel about making the rest of the Struts JARs more
> granular? Maybe we should be breaking this up so each package or taglib
> gets its own JAR, so we could have
>
> struts-action.jar
> struts-actions.jar
> struts-html.jar
> struts-logic.jar
> struts-bean.jar
> struts-template.jar
> struts-upload.jar
> struts-util.jar
>
> I think the general trend is toward finely-grained JARs. Down the road,
> I could envision people using the struts-action.jar, but not needing any
> (or all of) the taglibs.

  We should find the right boundary between too big or too small jar files ...
If there is too much jar files, people won't remind from where a functionality
comes, or what are jar dependencies. As a result, they will use systematically
all jar files ...

  Cedric

Re: Future Struts releases

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
So, now that 1.0.1 is in the queue, we may want to make some decisions
regarding 1.1.

[taglibs]

Personally, I think the existing changes to the tags along probably
justify a release on their own. Though, we need to add some
documentation there. Arron's nested taglib looks pretty cool, and I'd
like to slip that in too.

[...]

[Role-Based Actions]

I'm going to try and get Nic Hobb's security package in play next week

http://husted.com/struts/resources/struts-security.htm

and if it lives up to its reputation, I would probably want to commit
it. Would anyone have any qualms with this?

[Declarative Exceptions]

Any ideas about how we could put this into play using its own signature
(throwing Exception) and still support the original signature. I like
the idea, but I would also like to do it right. This won't be the last
time a problem with changing signatures comes up. There would be ways to
do it using a different base Action, but that gets messy as a standard
approach.

This might be a 1.2 issue anyway, since there hasn't been a working
package out there for people to use.

Now that Martin's tapped the keg, we might start thinking in terms of
more rapid releases.

We might even start taking notes on a Struts 2.0, that might make
changes that would be a Good Thing, but would break too much of the 1.0
base. Many of the class names comes to mind ;-) I mean how many things
can we call "Action" anyway ;-) The 2.0 codebase might also leverage
filters and other new technologies.

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Future Struts releases

Posted by Petr Jiricka <pe...@czech.sun.com>.
Posted by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>.
Comments are inline...

--- Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> I like the idea of changing the DTD to use a
> different root elements,
> and thereby accept multiple <struts-config>
> elements. But don't think we
> should get into that for 1.1 now.

Fair enough.  It would certainly be late in the game
to introduce this now if we are going to release 1.1
imminently.  I can work up a patch and we'll apply it
when it's "safe".

Also, my thinking behind this was not necessarily to
support multiple <struts-config> elements (great idea
though), but more along the lines of adding other
"stuff" into the main config file.  For instance,
support for validation and message resources as you
(Ted) had mentioned in an earlier thread.

> I'm also hesitant to to commit to an approach to
> multiple Struts-config
> until we have changed the DTD, and had this solution
> out in the field a
> little longer.

Agreed.

> How about if we offer an alternative standard
> ActionServlet that offers
> this patch by overriding initMap?

Sounds like a good idea.  This would certainly allow
the functionality to get more exposure.  My feeling is
that most people would be more comfortable with using
this in production environments if it was packaged
with the standard distribution versus having to patch
the source and compile it in.

What should we call the "extended" servlet?
ActionServlet2?  ActionServletX (eXtended
functionality)? ActionServetletExtended?

> This will help get it out there, while we finish the
> job on the DTD.

Exactly.

> If any unforeseen problems surface, people can just
> switch batch and
> paste their configs back together.
>
> AFAIK, whatever there may be to do is in Bugzilla or
> on the TODO list.
>
> So, are you still thinking about taking the Console
> open source?

I'd certainly like to do so and see it part of the
standard distribution or at least start out by adding
it to the contrib folder and have me work from that
repository.  I have talked some with Petr Jiricka from
the NetBeans project and would like to perhaps
coordinate with him on getting it included as a
standard module there too. I saw something there a
couple of weeks ago where they wanted some kind of
Struts support for NB4.  Petr, comments?  I personally

Re: Future Struts releases

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Future Struts releases

Posted by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>.