Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by charles medcoff <cm...@wideopenwest.com> on 2004/09/30 11:19:00 UTC

svn status "S"

Hello,

I've created a repository, added files and perfomed a checkout.  I then used WSAD to create a project in my workspace.  That resulted in the the creation of some additional files and directories in my workspace.  When performing an "svn status" one of the directories shows marked up with "S".  Even after I perform a revert on that directory it still shows and "S".  The doco seems to indicate that "S" indicates a branch.  I don't understand.  Can someone explain this to me?

Re: svn status "S"

Posted by charles medcoff <cm...@wideopenwest.com>.
But how did that happen?  I didn't do anything to move it?

How do I move it back?

Re: svn status "S"

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Chuck wrote:
> Apologies for the HTML.
>
>> The item marked "S" is a working copy from a different branch to the
>> directory containing it.
>>
>> If that's not clear, then show us the output of:
>
> Still not clear because I have not created any branches.
>
>>  "svn info thing-that-is-S", and
>>  "svn info parent-directory-of-S-thing",
>> which will enable an explanation in the context of your specific
>> situation.
>
> Here is "thing-that-is-S"
>
> C:\cc_storage\medcofc_gRAD_Dev\klein>svn info
> gRAD\webApplication\WEB-INF\classes
>
> And here is "parent-directory-of-S-thing"
>
> C:\cc_storage\medcofc_gRAD_Dev\klein>svn info gRAD\webApplication\WEB-INF\

So, "gRAD/webApplication/WEB-INF" in your WC points to
"gRAD/webApplication/WEB-INF" in your repository.

However the subdirectory "gRAD/webApplication/WEB-INF/classes" in your WC
does not point to the equivalent path in the repository. Instead, it points
to "gRAD/source". It is 'switched' - it points to a location in the
repository different to its parent WC directory.

Max.

Re: svn status "S"

Posted by Chuck <cm...@hotmail.com>.
Apologies for the HTML.

> The item marked "S" is a working copy from a different branch to the
> directory containing it.
>
> If that's not clear, then show us the output of:

Still not clear because I have not created any branches.

>  "svn info thing-that-is-S", and
>  "svn info parent-directory-of-S-thing",
> which will enable an explanation in the context of your specific
situation.

Here is "thing-that-is-S"

C:\cc_storage\medcofc_gRAD_Dev\klein>svn info
gRAD\webApplication\WEB-INF\classes
Revision: 2
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Rev: 2
Last Changed Date: 2004-09-29 17:13:40 -0400 (Wed, 29 Sep 2004)

Re: svn status "S"

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
charles medcoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've created a repository, added files and perfomed a checkout.  I then
> used
> WSAD to create a project in my workspace.  That resulted in the the
> creation
> of some additional files and directories in my workspace.  When performing
> an
> "svn status" one of the directories shows marked up with "S".  Even after
> perform a revert on that directory it still shows and "S".  The doco seems
> indicate that "S" indicates a branch.  I don't understand.  Can someone
> explain this to me?

The item marked "S" is a working copy from a different branch to the
directory containing it.

If that's not clear, then show us the output of:
 "svn info thing-that-is-S", and
 "svn info parent-directory-of-S-thing",
which will enable an explanation in the context of your specific situation.

Max.

PS: Please avoid bloating your messages with HTML.