Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by re...@post.cz on 2005/01/26 10:20:48 UTC

Improving Jmeter - Implemeting Virtual IPs

Hello Jmeter developers,

It will be nice to have in Jmeter emulation of User speed
connection. However to do this task in Java can be not practical
and easy.

Another way to this problem can be to add support for virtual IP
addreses in clients (per thread ???). Most testing is done in
laboratory or after firewall conditions and huge block of IPs
like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x can be easily used.

Java have on java.net.Socket parameter for it:

public Socket(InetAddress address, int port, InetAddress
localAddress, int localPort) throws IOException

Its also part of org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection

as

setLocalAddress(InetAddress localAddress)

Set the local address used when creating the connection.

For getting valid virtual IP addreses module for reading User
parameter from file can by modified (One IP per thread if there
is anought in list).

Using virual IP addesses give to tester posilibty to use Linux
kernel based shaping modules to emulate client banwith. This
modules have also nice interfaces so this aproach can by used
also by non Linux adminstrators.

I can test this feaure with tpcdump and ethernal if jmeter team
will impement it. I can also write small howto use it if somebody
will check my english in it.

Ing Rudolf Kutina
Practical tester
Prague

Re: Improving Jmeter - Implemeting Virtual IPs

Posted by re...@post.cz.
Hello Sebb,

1, There is another very good reason to implement Virtual IPs.

If threads (Virtual users) use individual IPs it will much easier
to debug correct functionality on any IP level test task. For
example with protocol analiser like www.ethereal.com (Exist for
Uni*X and Windows)

2, Most users use now CABLE modem like connections.

 - How you will emulate 1000 users with maximum speed 256Kbit,
but guarantee speed 128Kbit ??? This kind of emulation need to be
done on all connection level not only on level of individual IP
(thread, virtual user, ...)

 - How you will emulate speed when from 1000 users 300 have 128K,
400 256kbit and rest T1 (1500KBit)?

And finaly Linux shaping kernel mduels are whant most small and
medium ISPs use. With useage it for emulation we can be as much
as user will be in real world.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
This sounds useful.

A long while back, I wrote a slow modem simulator for Perl - it
intercepted read and write calls to the socket, and would wait for a
certain amount of time calculated from the size of the request and the
desired modem speed. Would this not be possible in Java? Just
wondering.

If you want to contribute code, please don't send it to the mailing list.
Please create a Bugzilla enhancement request, and then attach the files to it.

S.