Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Mark Kikken <mk...@vaessen-consulting.de> on 2005/04/22 16:25:54 UTC

procrun as user

Hi there,

I'm trying to install a program as a service using procrun. This works
fine, but I would also like to have a different user than the system
account run this service.
I know there is an option --User and --Password to procrun, but these
don't seen to have an effect. I created a user 'testuser' with the
password 'testuser', supplied these as options to procrun, but the
service's setting didn't change (properties panel).
The documentation is quite brief on this and I don't know how to
generate some kind of verbose debug output.
Can anyone help me out here?

Mark Kikken

--
________________________________

Vaessen Consulting GmbH
Schloß-Rahe-Straße 15
52072  Aachen

Tel.: +49.241.9367 35 00
Fax.: +49.241.9367 35 99

http://vaessen-consulting.de

Re: procrun as user

Posted by Mark Kikken <mk...@vaessen-consulting.de>.
>>I'm actually trying this with the tomcat binary. It's really tomcat I'm
>>trying to register as a service, for an IzPack installation of a portal
>>application. So, I didn't run into the compillation problems you ran
>>into. Maybe you should try it with the tomcat5.exe binary that comes
>>with tomcat.
>>

>Yep, I tried exactly that, but couldn´t get it running :-(
>

>>But still, I can't run the service as a different user. What could be
>>causing this?
>>

>Hmm, I know that there´s the "Monitor Tomcat" tray icon program that
>ships with tomcat since 5.0.x ....
>There´s a configure option to have tomcat running as a special user
>and not as SYSTEM. The user I had choosen for that belongs to the
>administrator´s group.
>I have already done this and it worked. ASFAIK the credentials put in
>there are just passed to procrun. So it should work that way.
>
>I used JDK 1.4_02 -> 1.5.x on Windows XP Professional with tomcat
>5.0.28, 5.5.4 or 5.5.7 - don´t remember exactly.
>
>Do you see some tomcat-related entries in the system´s event log?
>
>Maybe you´re encountering the same or a similar problem that I was
>running into!?!
>

>kind regards
>Rolf

Rolf,

I Tried creating a user (dp), set a password (dp) and give that user
admin rights, but still: if i run "tomcat5.exe //US//DocPortal --User dp
--Password dp", nothing happens and the service's properties don't change.
Other than that, it just works as expected. Please note that Tomcat
itself does not provied a "run-as-user" during it's installation (at
least: i couldn't find it).

Regards,

Mark Kikken

--
________________________________

Vaessen Consulting GmbH
Schloß-Rahe-Straße 15
52072  Aachen

Tel.: +49.241.9367 35 00
Fax.: +49.241.9367 35 99

http://vaessen-consulting.de

Re: procrun as user

Posted by rk...@unit-medienhaus.de.
Hi all,

Re: procrun as user

Posted by Mark Kikken <mk...@vaessen-consulting.de>.
Hi Guys,

I'm actually trying this with the tomcat binary. It's really tomcat I'm
trying to register as a service, for an IzPack installation of a portal
application. So, I didn't run into the compillation problems you ran
into. Maybe you should try it with the tomcat5.exe binary that comes
with tomcat.

But still, I can't run the service as a different user. What could be
causing this?

Mark

--
________________________________

Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com> wrote on 22.04.2005 17:07:30:
> Hi Mark, Rolf,
> Where did you find the procrun executable from? The Apache site didn't
> have Daemons binaries for Windows when I was looking.

Well, I found the executable in tomcat 5 binary release :-)
I also didn´t find it in the commons download section.
There was also documentation missing how to compile it with
something else than MS-Studio :-(

kind regards
Rolf

Re: procrun as user