Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/31 22:51:32 UTC

JQueryUI swc

> >> 6) See if we can get DataBindingTest working with JQuery and CreateJS
> >>and
> >> remove their FlexJSTest examples.
> >>

> >I realized a few days ago that the JQuery externs we are using contains
> >only JQuery - core and not JQueryUI, which contains all the cool UI
> >widgets.  Any chance we can an externs created for JQueryUI as well before
> >the release?
>
> Not sure about the license and provenance implications, but the
> instructions on how to create other externs is on their wiki page [1].
> I’d like to see someone spend time on the FlexJS JQueryUI wrappers.  I’d
> much rather use the Jquery UI widgets without having to figure out what
> ‘$’ is all about.  And then the AS code you write to glue the widgets
> together will be more strongly-typed and catch more errors up front.

I looked around for a JQueryUI externs file.  From what I understand,
JQueryUI does not add any more external variables that should not be
renamed (during GCC minification), hence there is no need for a separate
externs file for JQueryUI.  But, I guess that is bad for us because we are
using the externs file as a way to create a public API in ActionScript.
Any ideas how to tackle this issue?

For what its worth, there is a complete TypeScript defintions file for
JQueryUI:
https://github.com/borisyankov/DefinitelyTyped/blob/master/jqueryui/jqueryui.d.ts

Any chance we can use this to generate the AS3 swc file for JQueryUI?

Thanks,
Om

Re: JQueryUI swc

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/31/15, 1:51 PM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash Muppirala"
<omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >I realized a few days ago that the JQuery externs we are using contains
>> >only JQuery - core and not JQueryUI, which contains all the cool UI
>> >widgets.  Any chance we can an externs created for JQueryUI as well
>>before
>> >the release?
>>
>> Not sure about the license and provenance implications, but the
>> instructions on how to create other externs is on their wiki page [1].
>> I’d like to see someone spend time on the FlexJS JQueryUI wrappers.  I’d
>> much rather use the Jquery UI widgets without having to figure out what
>> ‘$’ is all about.  And then the AS code you write to glue the widgets
>> together will be more strongly-typed and catch more errors up front.
>>

>I looked around for a JQueryUI externs file.  From what I understand,
>JQueryUI does not add any more external variables that should not be
>renamed (during GCC minification), hence there is no need for a separate
>externs file for JQueryUI.  But, I guess that is bad for us because we are
>using the externs file as a way to create a public API in ActionScript.
>Any ideas how to tackle this issue?

Yeah, start working on the FlexJS wrappers for JQueryUI ;-)  What’s the
point of using AS if you are just going to remove all type information by
using ‘$’?

>For what its worth, there is a complete TypeScript defintions file for
>JQueryUI:
>https://github.com/borisyankov/DefinitelyTyped/blob/master/jqueryui/jquery
>ui.d.ts
>
>Any chance we can use this to generate the AS3 swc file for JQueryUI?

Feel free to take it on, but one PMC member has called the provenance of
those files into question.

-Alex