Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/08 17:14:19 UTC

BeanModel classes as a separate project and/or JAR?

Hi!

Taking a look at a problem I'm having at my day job right now, I noticed
the BeanModel classes (including PropertyModel, PropertyConduit,
BeanModelSource, etc) could be hugely useful for projects and code that
need to deal with class properties: discovery, reading and writing
properties. Tapestry does that and in a very fast manner, as it doesn't
use reflection at all for reading and writing properties. Our scenario
here is a homegrown XML mapper that cannot be replaced due to backward
compatibility and we'd also need some lazy-loading of mapped properties,
as most of the time most properties aren't needed

BeanModel et al is inside tapestry-core, so anything using it would need
to depend on an (awesome) Tapestry framework. I believe with a little bit
of work, including a sprinkle of Gradle magic, we could generate a
BeanModel JAR separate from tapestry-core.

What do you guys think?

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: BeanModel classes as a separate project and/or JAR?

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
On the other hand, the alternative of needing a "tapestry-commons" project
isn't great either.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:57:55 -0300, Kalle Korhonen
<ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No reason to vote yet as we don't know how the end result would look
> like. I think it'd be far better to create a remote branch for all to
> see, and
> once you know how it's gonna turn out, we can vote on merging it in.

You nailed it, Kalle. I'm creating a beanmodel-split branch and I'll push
it to Apache's Git as soon as I have enough work.

Lance, you mentioned the possibility of having a tapestry-commons project,
and the work I've done so far does indicate that it should exist. There's
a lot of stuff the beanmodel project will need that doesn't make sense any
sense to be inside it: ObjectLocator, AnnotationProvider,
MessageFormatter, Messages, TypeCoercer, Coercion, CoercionTuple, and
that's just the ones I've uncovered so far. I'm creating a 'commons'
subproject for them.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dimitris Zenios <di...@gmail.com>.
Git mv

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 13:40:48 -0300, Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Sounds useful. I'm assuming plastic would need to be on the classpath but
> tapestry-ioc would not?

I haven't investigated much yet, but it would need a dependency on Plastic
for sure and probably Tapestry-IoC too due to TypeCoercer, ObjectLocator,
DataTypeAnalyzer, AnnotationProvider. I think the new JAR could get
DataTypeAnalyzer and AnnotationProvider, ObjectLocator is only used for
object instantiation, so its direct use is easily replaceable. TypeCoercer
would be difficult to replace, but I haven't dived in this specific part
yet.

Having a Tapestry-IoC dependency wouldn't be a problem, I think.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.