Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/04 19:51:14 UTC

Tomcat 7 and Geronimo

Hi.  I'm trying to put a little organization around the Geronimo
community work on the Geronimo 3.0 release.  We're targetting that
release to be a Java EE 6 release...or at a minimum, a Java EE 6 Web
Profile implementation.  Obviously, the servlet container and the JSP
implementation is a bit part of either of these function sets.  I'm
trying to lay out some milestone releases to help prioritize our work
items.  To do this effectively, I need to have some general idea on when
the various components we embed might be available so we can target
which milestone release the full support might be available.

Anyway, to make a long story short, is there any sort of general target
timeframe for having a Tomcat implementation with the new Java EE 6
features?  Specifically, we're looking for Servlet 3.0, JSP, JSP 2.2,
and El 2.2 compliance.  The roadmap for Tomcat 7.0 is a little vague on
the timeframes involved.  I don't need an exact date, but a ballpark
figure would help a lot.

Rick

Re: Tomcat 7 and Geronimo

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
On 2/4/2010 1:58 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 04/02/2010 18:51, Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>> Hi.  I'm trying to put a little organization around the Geronimo
>> community work on the Geronimo 3.0 release.  We're targetting that
>> release to be a Java EE 6 release...or at a minimum, a Java EE 6 Web
>> Profile implementation.  Obviously, the servlet container and the JSP
>> implementation is a bit part of either of these function sets.  I'm
>> trying to lay out some milestone releases to help prioritize our work
>> items.  To do this effectively, I need to have some general idea on when
>> the various components we embed might be available so we can target
>> which milestone release the full support might be available.
>>
>> Anyway, to make a long story short, is there any sort of general target
>> timeframe for having a Tomcat implementation with the new Java EE 6
>> features?  Specifically, we're looking for Servlet 3.0, JSP, JSP 2.2,
>> and El 2.2 compliance.  The roadmap for Tomcat 7.0 is a little vague on
>> the timeframes involved.  I don't need an exact date, but a ballpark
>> figure would help a lot.
>>
> JSP 2.2 and EL 2.2 are complete, tested and available in trunk now.

Excellent!
> Servlet 3.0 still needs:
>   - async support (Filip was looking at this)
>   - a couple of other new API bits doing (I'm finishing this off)
>   - some testing (a lot of the servlet 3.0 stuff hasn't been tested
> beyond compilation)
>
> I intend to do an alpha release towards the end of this month regardless
> of what state it is in so we can start getting some feedback.
>
> Beyond that I'd like to do a release roughly every month.
>
> Timings for the first stable release are still TBD.

This is very good news indeed, certainly enough to start planning
around.  "Some information" is definitely better than "no information".
Thank you for the very quick response.

Rick

Re: Tomcat 7 and Geronimo

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.