Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "Daniel,Wu" <ha...@163.com> on 2011/08/12 08:30:04 UTC

how to load data to partitioned table

  suppose the table is partitioned by period_key, and the csv file also has a column named as period_key. The csv file contains multiple days of data, how can we load it in the the table?

I think of an workaround by first load the data into a non-partition table, and then insert the data from non-partition table to the partition table.

hive> INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE sales SELECT * FROM sales_temp;
FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: need to specify partition columns because the destination table is partitioned.

However it doesn't work also. please help.

RE: how to load data to partitioned table

Posted by "Aggarwal, Vaibhav" <va...@amazon.com>.
If you want to insert data into a partitioned table without specifying the partition value, you need to enable dynamic partitioning.
You can use the following switches:

SET hive.exec.dynamic.partition=true;
SET hive.exec.dynamic.partition.mode=nonstrict;

Thanks
Vaibhav

Posted by wd <wd...@wdicc.com>.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DML

Posted by hadoopman <ha...@gmail.com>.
DISTRIBUTE BY and CLUSTER BY didn't resolve all the issues I've seen
with very large data sets.  I mean I'm loading a couple terabytes in a
dataset and running into some rather interesting problems.  I noticed
however loading a couple months or two at a time (and making sure they
were from the same time period) seem to resolve the problems I kept
hitting over and over again.

I have to keep reminding myself that hive / hadoop isn't a database and
not to treat it as such. :-)

Posted by be...@yahoo.com.

Posted by hadoopman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vikas Srivastava <vi...@one97.net>.