Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Dominik Westner <li...@logicunited.com> on 2003/06/17 17:41:53 UTC

apache locks up with authz_svn_module

Hi,

I just upgraded to 0.24.1 (trunk rev 6243 to be more specific) running
on a dual amd gentoo linux machine and apache 2.0.x HEAD / apr HEAD.
I also use LDAP for authentication.

Apache locks up during any svn actions requiring authentication. I
could not find anything in the error logs. After some debugging I found
out, that I have

LoadModule authz_svn_module   modules/mod_authz_svn.so

in my config file. I don't remember that I have put it there. Did svn
upgrade my config file? ( I guess I would not like that ....)

Well, after commenting out the line everything worked as expected again.

Please let me know if you want some more specific information.

Dominik

Re: apache locks up with authz_svn_module

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> (Oops, I think Linux doesn't have pstack.  So, attach to the 'hung' process
> with gdb, then get a backtrace.  Or, something like that.)

At least RedHat 7.3 and newer have pstack:

% which pstack
/usr/bin/pstack
% rpm -qf /usr/bin/pstack
pstack-1.1-6

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>
Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

Re: apache locks up with authz_svn_module

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Tuesday, June 17, 2003 7:41 PM +0200 Dominik Westner
<li...@logicunited.com> wrote:

> Apache locks up during any svn actions requiring authentication. I could not
> find anything in the error logs. After some debugging I found out, that I
> have

mod_authz_svn would only be active if AuthzSVNAccessFile is defined in your
httpd.conf.  If it isn't there, auth_checker() will decline to do anything.
So, I'm suspicious that mod_authz_svn is at the root of this problem.

You would need to run 'pstack' to determine where it is really hanging, but
based on what you've said, I would ensure that something wasn't going on with
your LDAP server to make the client connections temporarily block.

(Oops, I think Linux doesn't have pstack.  So, attach to the 'hung' process
with gdb, then get a backtrace.  Or, something like that.)

> LoadModule authz_svn_module   modules/mod_authz_svn.so
>
> in my config file. I don't remember that I have put it there. Did svn
> upgrade my config file? ( I guess I would not like that ....)

apxs with the -i option will add LoadModule lines by default.  -- justin