Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/07 21:50:24 UTC

Starting security update release 1.6.0.1

Hi devs,

As discussed heavily, the security maintenance release to fix the Tomcat
CVE 2014-50.
According to our discussions and decisions summarized here
https://tomee.apache.org/security/index.html
we will start the release process.

Special thanks to Jon who has worked heavily to prepare everything and
ensure the TCK all passes.

Another big thanks to Andy who proposed to be the release manager.

That's what I call a community.

Jean-Louis

See the end of the message for more details on the CVE.

*Important: Denial of Service*
CVE-2014-0050<http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2014-0050>

It was possible to craft a malformed Content-Type header for a multipart
request that caused Apache Tomcat to enter an infinite loop. A malicious
user could, therefore, craft a malformed request that triggered a denial of
service.

The root cause of this error was a bug in Apache Commons FileUpload. Tomcat
7 uses a packaged renamed copy of Apache Commons FileUpload to implement
the requirement of the Servlet 3.0 specification to support the processing
of mime-multipart requests. Tomcat 7 was therefore affected by this issue.

This was fixed in revision
1565169<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=1565169>
.

This issue was reported to the Apache Software Foundation on 04 Feb 2014
and accidently made public on 06 Feb 2014.

Affects: 7.0.0-7.0.50
--
Jean-Louis

Re: Starting security update release 1.6.0.1

Posted by agumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.
Thanks to all, the vote is posted.

Andy.

Re: Starting security update release 1.6.0.1

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1  Thank you to you both :)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
and to JL to drive it so hard ;)