Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2015/11/20 18:49:49 UTC

Is history cleanup allowed on Apache SVN/GIT repositories?

Hello all

Maybe this is not a serious issue, but I'm asking just in case. Does
Apache INFRA team can (or is allowed to) remove accidentally committed
files from SVN/GIT history? The intend would be to reduce the weight on
Apache servers (and I presume backups), and download time for those who
clone the project history from e.g. GitHub. Since the history edition
would be on a branch and not on trunk, would it be considered okay?

This is not a critic to anyone - this is just an attempt to be kind to
peoples who have to deal with the project history. If peoples agree, I
would create an issue on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA/.
If there is objections, I guess that it is okay to leave things as-is.

    Martin