Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by jlwpc1 <jl...@earthlink.net> on 2000/06/01 01:33:16 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES

From: <rb...@covalent.net>

> > Are either of you signing up for taking 25 messages each
> > on comp.infosystems.www-servers.windows for a week? :-)
>
> I've done it, and yes, I've gotten sick of it.  But this information is in
> the FAQ, and it's documented.  If the users can't get the right answer by
> RTFM, then we aren't responsible.
>
> Ryan

Yes Apache is responsible. :)

Apache Windows Server is running on a computer - use it.  If there is an error that can be caught and corrected while running Windows then do it.

Duh,
JLW

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES

Posted by jlwpc1 <jl...@earthlink.net>.

> > > I've done it, and yes, I've gotten sick of it.  But this information is in
> > > the FAQ, and it's documented.  If the users can't get the right answer by
> > > RTFM, then we aren't responsible.
> > >
> > > Ryan
> > >

> > Yes Apache is responsible. :)
> >
> > Apache Windows Server is running on a computer - use it.  If there is
> > an error that can be caught and corrected while running Windows then
> > do it.
> >
> > Duh,
> > JLW
>
> "Duh" ??!!
>
> Dood. There is only so much time and effort we have, and that we would
> like to expend. If somebody doesn't want to take the effort to get all the
> little niggly details of making Apache run on Windows 95, then that is
> their right. Nobody *HAS* to do anything and nobody *HAS* to make Apache
> run correctly on Windows.
>
> If we create a FAQ entry so that people can avoid shortcomings in the
> code, yet they fail to use it. Too bad for them. I'm definitely with Ryan
> on that.
>
> If you don't like the behavior of Apache on Windows, then fix it yourself.
> But don't you dare say that we *HAVE* to do it, and don't start saying
> "Duh" to us like it is some great revelation or understanding that you
> have and we don't.
>
> -g

Silly me, but wasn't OtherBill fixing this in the first place?

Duh,
JLW

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.
Agreed, it can get confusing... here's the relevant part:

#
# Apache Modules compiled into the standard Windows build
#
# The following modules are bound into the standard Apache binary distribution
# for Windows.  To change the standard behavior, uncomment the following lines
# and modify the list of those specific modules to be enabled in the server.
#
# WARNING: This is an advanced option that may render your server inoperable!
# Do not use these directives without expert guidance.
#
#ClearModuleList
#AddModule mod_so.c mod_mime.c mod_access.c mod_auth.c mod_negotiation.c
#AddModule mod_include.c mod_autoindex.c mod_dir.c mod_cgi.c mod_userdir.c
#AddModule mod_alias.c mod_env.c mod_log_config.c mod_asis.c mod_imap.c
#AddModule mod_actions.c mod_setenvif.c mod_isapi.c

If we feel this is not forboding enough - I'm 100% open to pulling
it back out of httpd.conf-dist-win!

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by jlwpc1 <jl...@earthlink.net>.
> > > And no, if the user can't or won't read the manual and error
> > > string and FAQ and newsgroup, we aren't responsible.
> >
> > Unfortunately, part of the problem is that the error string is
> > typically displayed in a DOS window that disappears instantly.
>
> Ahhh... that's the nail, you hit it right on the head.
>
> One of my fixes to 1.3.13 before it flies out the door has to
> be to prevent the console from closing until the user sees the
> message.  The only time we _can't_ do this is when they start
> a WinNT service (no console, ever)...
>
> We can work that out for 2.0 before the release version to at
> least throw up one of those god-awful message popups with a
> detailed description of why the server didn't start (it's a
> hack to http_logs, but I'll toss the implementation to another
> function).
>
> But if they are a brainiac who's installed a service and knows
> how to stop and start it, they aught to be able to find and
> read an error log :-)

What is the reason for having a Windows computer -  to do it for you.

You are on Windows - use the force!

That is what those MessageBox()es are for. Why quit and say look at the error log(you do give the exact location for the user here and tell them how to "view it" or maybe you even pop up the Windows Event Log or Apache error log so the user can see it at the same time)? :)

The computer "knows" what the error is and the computer can even ask the user (I know new thoughts for Unix users) and then do it or quit via the users actions.  Just image it - a computer that follows the users wishes! :)

Gosh, why can't you start Windows Apache and ask the user for _everything_ ? :)
Or use radio button. :)  Edit boxes. :) Oh here we are back to language issues - use the Windows local setup. Apache comes in many languages in files ready to go in Windows.

Oh and be sure in the source code to put in those nice  _blank functions_ for the Unix sections! :)

Let's see is it,  APR_HAS_MULTI_LANG and APR_HAS_MESSAGEBOX and APR_HAS_SELECT_RADIO_BUTTON_ONE and APR_HAS_ASK_USER and so on. :)

Remember, think Windows (how can I make it easier for the user - reacting to events/msgs in the program).

You guys/gals make life hard - why? :)

Yea, computers are FUN.
JLW

> > And no, if the user can't or won't read the manual and error
> > string and FAQ and newsgroup, we aren't responsible.
>
> Unfortunately, part of the problem is that the error string is
> typically displayed in a DOS window that disappears instantly.

Ahhh... that's the nail, you hit it right on the head.

One of my fixes to 1.3.13 before it flies out the door has to
be to prevent the console from closing until the user sees the
message.  The only time we _can't_ do this is when they start
a WinNT service (no console, ever)...

We can work that out for 2.0 before the release version to at
least throw up one of those god-awful message popups with a
detailed description of why the server didn't start (it's a
hack to http_logs, but I'll toss the implementation to another
function).

But if they are a brainiac who's installed a service and knows
how to stop and start it, they aught to be able to find and
read an error log :-)

Not yet, but it's on the short list :)

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES

Posted by jlwpc1 <jl...@earthlink.net>.
Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> And no, if the user can't or won't read the manual and error
> string and FAQ and newsgroup, we aren't responsible.

Unfortunately, part of the problem is that the error string is
typically displayed in a DOS window that disappears instantly.

I think the "ServerName 127.0.0.1" is perfectly reasonable --
IFF coupled with another mod that adds a "<VirtualHost _default_>"
container so that the server is usable by all its other names as well.
A sub-optimal solution to be sure, but not the gross hack some
have been declaiming it to be -- just an incomplete hack.

Bill at least did something to stem the flood.  FWIW, I get about
fifty of these lame messages a week.
--
#ken    P-)}

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > > Are either of you signing up for taking 25 messages each
> > > on comp.infosystems.www-servers.windows for a week? :-)
> >
> > I've done it, and yes, I've gotten sick of it.  But this information is in
> > the FAQ, and it's documented.  If the users can't get the right answer by
> > RTFM, then we aren't responsible.
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> Yes Apache is responsible. :)
>
> Apache Windows Server is running on a computer - use it.  If there is an error that can be caught and corrected while running Windows then do it.

But the fix that was committed didn't check to see if the error could be
caught on Windows, it used a brain-dead default on all platforms.

And no, if the user can't or won't read the manual and error string and
FAQ and newsgroup, we aren't responsible.  If I open a new package, and it
doesn't work properly and I can't figure out how to make it work, I turn
to the manual, assuming this is a common problem.  I expect nothing less
out of people trying to run a web server.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
jlwpc1 wrote:

> Apache needs more research - life changes - Apache server is not
> for "techs only" any more, in fact most downloads are from
> _non-techs_ for most OSes.

And on what data are you basing this rather wild claim?

Not that it matters, because you clearly don't understand what
Apache is.  It is *not* a product we make for some vast ill-defined
user base.  It's something we do for *ourselves*.  If that user
base benefits, cool -- but that's a side-effect.  Go re-read Roy's
recent message on this.

> Software used to be based on what does the user want to do, not
> what the programmer says a user must do.

Once again, that's a commercial viewpoint, and not relevant to Apache.

> Silly me, I used to wonder why everyday people hate computers so
> much, I wonder if this programming logic of most developers today
> is why? :)

Possibly because people mis-set their own expectations?
--
#ken    P-)}

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES

Posted by jlwpc1 <jl...@earthlink.net>.

> > > I've done it, and yes, I've gotten sick of it.  But this
> > information is in
> > > the FAQ, and it's documented.  If the users can't get the
> > right answer by
> > > RTFM, then we aren't responsible.
> > >
> > > Ryan
> > >

> > Yes Apache is responsible. :)
> >
> > Apache Windows Server is running on a computer - use it.  If
> > there is an error that can be caught and corrected while
> > running Windows then do it.
>
> But not necessarily with the quick hack - one kind of error
> in place of another kind of error.
>
> We are not asking too much (but certainly expecting too much)
> for the admin to read the FAQ.
>
> I stand by Ryan here - if we sufficiently document what the
> user aught to do in a way they can follow (it's the first
> step - they aren't rocket scientists just yet :)

Apache needs more research - life changes - Apache server is not for "techs only" any more, in fact most downloads are from _non-techs_ for most OSes.

Most downloads of Apache Windows Servers are users period, who want to "learn" how to do "something" besides running the server.  Windows users load and start "something" but if nothing starts and doesn't "display why", well, you know the _non-tech_ story.  It is only after most Window programs are up and running, only then will the users desires to learn grows.  It is a simple computer "correct yourself" fix, based on the _general_ user of the product.