Posted to dev@age.apache.org by Eya Badal <ba...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/09 04:31:33 UTC

Apache AGE (Incubating) - Community Graduation Vote

Hi AGE community and Mentors,

Since entering incubation 18 months ago in April 2020 and with five
versions of AGE released, and 0.6.0 imminent, it's fair to say the AGE
community has demonstrated its ability to build software releases the
Apache Way.

We have prepared an assessment of the Apache AGE podling’s maturity, meant
to help inform the decision (of the mentors, community, Incubator PMC, and
ASF Board of Directors) to graduate it as a top-level Apache project. We
used the ASF project maturity model
<https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html>
to evaluate the Apache AGE project and assess itself as having no major
areas for concern. The assessment can be found at the Apache AGE website
<https://age.apache.org/#> under the COMMUNITY menu.

In addition to building and releasing software, the community has grown the
Apache AGE project in other areas.

   -

   There have been 64 unique contributors across the AGE and the subproject
   AGE Viewer. These Contributors have raised >170 issues or pull requests.
   -

   We have been addressing Github issues since the start but timeliness was
   an issue. In April we created our internal SLA to categorise (label),
   assign, and respond to issue and pull requests. Since April, 95% are
   responded within 72 hours (80% of issues are responded to within 24 hrs).
   -

   Contributions span more than 20 countries across the globe - Belarus,
   Belgium, China, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Luxembourg,
   Netherlands, Russia, South Korea, Thailand, UK, Ukraine, USA, and Vietnam.
   -

   We have amassed positive comments throughout and gathered >470 stars.
   -

   We have committers from 4 different companies.

AGE mentors, what is your opinion on this?

Do you agree that we are ready to graduate?

Are there any remaining issues that we can improve on?

If we can capture your issues of concern we can then work those issues to
resolution.

Your feedback would be very much appreciated!

Regards,

Eya

Re: Apache AGE (Incubating) - Community Graduation Vote

Posted by Joe Fagan <jo...@bitnine.net>.
+1
well done AGE contributors and committers 👏👏

Posted by Jasper Blues <ja...@liberation-data.com>.
+1 for me too! (And congrats Apache AGE team).

Some of my consulting clients have expressed a strong interest in this project. One such example is a Singapore & SE Asia based company that provides digital transformation / business process modeling (BPM) via their proprietary software platform. These folks are using driving.org, my open source graph database library, which was built with Apache AGE in mind (also supports original AgensGraph and AGE Cloud).

Apache AGE is the perfect way for them to start leveraging the power of graphs from a Postgres foundation.

Looking forward to seeing this project continue to grow and prosper, hopefully as a fully-launched Apache project.

Jasper Blues | Liberation Data <http://liberation-data.com/>
Phone: +61 3 9028 7328
Skype: jasperblues

Re: Apache AGE (Incubating) - Community Graduation Vote

Posted by Alex Kwak <em...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Muhammad Shoaib <Sh...@bitnine.net>.
..+1

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Congrats on our new release. I am inclined to +1 for this graduation proposal.
But for safety, one more release, or a buffer period is suggested.

Juan Pan(Trista), Twitter: @tristaZero

On 11/13/2021 19:46,Juan Pan<pa...@apache.org> wrote:
Hi,

19 months is not a short phase. I am inclined to this graduation proposal and still well suggest firstly finishing the 0.6 release. The reason is that there are only 3 Apache releases during the incubator, and some issues are suspending. 0.6 release will be a positive sign that this community is able to run independently.

Best
Trista

Posted by Andrew Ko <an...@bitnine.net>.
Agreeing with the comments made by Juan,
I think it is imperative for the AGE community and mentors to come to a
term that the license issue raised before (related to PostgreSQL and ASF)
is resolved in the new 0.6.0 release.

2021년 11월 13일 (토) 오후 8:46, Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>님이 작성:

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
We are now closing this vote. Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I will announce this vote result shortly.

As per the feedback we have decided to give a grace buffer period until the end of this week before moving on to the IPMC Graduation Vote.

Best regards,
Eya

Posted by vongosling <vo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I strongly recommend our PPMCs pay more attention to our community
building, such as our issue, pr activities, our committer diversity.
Although we have released 5 versions, there are a few minor questions
waiting to be clarified in the incubator thread.

I think we still have some way to go, so let's start with these points?
Don't worry about graduation, I'm sure it will come soon as we realize what
we can improve:-)

Eya Badal <ba...@gmail.com> 于2021年11月9日周二 下午12:32写道:

--
Best Regards :-)

Re: Apache AGE (Incubating) - Community Graduation Vote

Posted by Muhammad Usama <m....@agedb.io>.
+1 from me along with a huge thanks and congrats to the whole Apache AGE
team.

I have been involved with PostgreSQL and related open source projects for
more than a decade,
and when I came across this Graph extension for PostgreSQL, it immediately
made me very
excited and encouraged to become a part of it.
I honestly believe that it is a wonderful idea with lots of potential and
very bright future ahead.
Although I am a bit of a silent member of the community since I joined, but
I have been closely
following the development and discussion and I think the project has come a
long way and
mature enough to graduate.

Thanks
Best regards
Muhammad Usama

Re: [External] : Re: Apache AGE (Incubating) - Community Graduation Vote

Posted by DongHu Kim <do...@oracle.com>.
+1
I have been following the project for me and one of my clients, I hope to see Graph database as a service with AGE on PostgreSQL, something  similar to Neo4j Aura. Well done, AGE community!

Posted by Muhammad Shoaib <mu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Andrew Ko <an...@bitnine.net>.

Posted by Josh Innis <jo...@apache.org>.
lol, forgot to vote.

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
That looks good to me. +1

Posted by John Gemignani <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Innis <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dehowe Feng <de...@apache.org>.
I’ve witnessed how the community and project has grown myself, and I’d like to see it continue and hope for its continuous success

+1

Posted by Joe Fagan <jo...@bitnine.net>.
+1

--

<http://bitnine.net>

Joe Fagan

Community Advocate Director

 M : +44 7788 148772

<https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bitnine%20agens>
<http://linkedin.com/company/bitnineglobal> <http://bitnine.net>
<http://age.apache.org>
A Graph Extension for PostgreSQL <http://age.apache.org>In the news: Bitnine
Promoting a First IPO in the Graph Database <https://bwnews.pr/3ds2mUc>

Re: Apache AGE (Incubating) - Community Graduation Vote

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.