Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> on 2017/09/01 17:30:49 UTC

Discussing Ad-Hoc Reporting Requirements

Hi Kojo and others,

As one of her volunteer tasks, Lavanya, is helping build out the specs and
crystallize the requirements around ad-hoc reporting that has been
implemented in bits and pieces but never been completed.

Kojo - I was hoping that she could do a quick call with you sometime in the
upcoming week.

I've summarized what she's working on and all previous work to date below:

Requirements, Research and User Stories for Ad-Hoc Reporting via
Mifos/Saiku Integration

The data and information housed in the centralized Mifos database is
critical to the operations and management of a financial institution. While
Mifos X ships with more than five dozen standard report and has multiple
ways to build custom reports, non-technical staff who don’t know SQL
queries nor the structure of the database struggle to be able to access new
reports on the fly.

Integration with Saiku would allow for ad-hoc reporting or more simply a
drag and drop interface for management and non-technical staff to easily
slice and dice and create reports on the fly..

Previous development work on the project has been led by an intern in 2014
who faced challenges with the availability of the version of Saiku. The new
version is now available but the challenges and outstanding questions with
the integration are being able to define data cubes that model the data
house in our data tables module. Data Tables are user-defined and because
of their dynamic and undefined format, it’s difficult to model in a
pre-defined data cube. Some Mifos partners explored this in 2015 but didn’t
make much progress.

Volunteer will research the various optiog place), and conduct, synthesize
and assimilate conversations and tools for drag and drop reporting (there
were some concerns with active development of Saiku but that still seems to
be takinations and research across the community to address outstanding
issues. Volunteer will draft initial users stories for the module and
design low-fidelity mockups and wireframes for the reporting interface and
how it integrates seamlessly into the Mifos X user interface.

Background on the project can be found at:

   -

   GSOC Idea Description
   <https://mifosforge.jira.com/wiki/display/RES/Google+Summer+of+Code+2017+Ideas#GoogleSummerofCode2017Ideas-AdHocReportingModule/BusinessAnalytics(OLAP)>
   -

   Demo of Integration from 2014
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21XbZoybL10>
   -

   Saiku Website - http://community.meteorite.bi/
   -

   Documentation on Work led by Oleg in 2014
   <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8XJw56sJUEiYmF1cXFKbmJ3aWc>
   -

   JIRA Issue for Oleg’s Work:
   https://mifosforge.jira.com/browse/MIFOSX-1448
   -

   Source Code from Oleg’s Work <https://github.com/olegdm?tab=repositories>
   -

   Discussion on Saiku and Challenges to Overcome
   <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByeK44WJrHIvWUF0THI0NGY0NjA/view?usp=sharing>
   -

   Discussion on Saiku
   <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mifosdeveloper/W2w5KbNyQag/Scm2_lNyaE8J>
   -

   Source Code for Saiku - https://github.com/OSBI/saiku
   -

   Demo of Mifos with Salesforce Reporting
   <http://gokubi.com/archives/salesforce-com-as-free-bolt-on-analytics-engine-for-any-database-app>

--
*Ed Cable*
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative

Re: Discussing Ad-Hoc Reporting Requirements

Posted by Stephen Agyepong <st...@gmail.com>.
Ed,

Sure.
I am available next week Tuesday - Friday
10 am - 12 pm EST

Thanks

Kwadwo