Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2006/08/10 23:13:08 UTC

Re: [HttpComponents] HttpCore will be in a state of flux for some time

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 19:23 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > I am working on restructuring HttpNIO into a sub-module of HttpCore
> > project in SVN. While doing so I have been constantly bumping into
> > problems because of non-standard project directory layout. I feel it is
> > time we bit the bullet and made the directory layout of HttpCore
> > complaint with Maven guidelines. This, unfortunately, will affect all
> > local checkouts and most likely will break them. I apologize for
> > inconveniences this may cause you.
>
> OK, and thanks for the warning. I'll wait with working on build.xml
> files for HttpCore until you're through with this set of changes.

Roland,
The new directory structure is in place. One should be able to build
HttpCore along with NIO extensions and HttpAsync using Maven. HttpCore
site and assemblies are still broken. I am going to fix them over the
weekend. Meanwhile you can go ahead with fixing the Ant build

Oleg

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 15:54 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > The new directory structure is in place. One should be able to build
> > HttpCore along with NIO extensions and HttpAsync using Maven. HttpCore
> > site and assemblies are still broken. I am going to fix them over the
> > weekend. Meanwhile you can go ahead with fixing the Ant build
>
> I've been working on the Ant build for a few hours now. I don't want
> to use the Maven structure for intermediate and result files. It
> simplifies the build.xml a bit if I can put them all under
> httpcore/build and /httpcore/dist instead of splitting the stuff in
> httpcore/module-main/{build|dist} and httpcore/module-nio/{build|dist}.
> I'm also creating only a single JAR file with both traditional and
> NIO classes. I'm not sure yet whether I'll implement conditional
> compilation for JDK 1.3. I'm leaning towards "no", as it saves time
> and because we don't need to duplicate everything in our build.
>
> I have noticed some inconsistencies in the directory structure.
> The contrib package on the top level is fine by me. In both modules,
> the main and test classes are below src/main/java and src/test/java.
> But module-main/src/examples and src/contrib do not have a java
> subdir. I guess the java subdir is coming from Maven, as I don't
> see any point in it for our pure-Java project. No harm done though,
> the nested directories are annoying with or without another one.

Roland,

This is still very much work in progress. At some point of time we migth
want to re-structure the cotrib code as modules: content
compression/decompression, Spring integration and so on

> Then I noticed that the NIO classes are in org.apache.http.nio.
> But they seem to be implementation classes only. Shouldn't they
> be in org.apache.http.impl.nio instead?

They should. I'll take care of that when I have a little more code in
NIO extensions

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Re: Subscriptoin issue

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Make sure you leave the Subject and Body of your subscription email
blank.

I can subscribe with no problem.

I have sent a request to subscribe your address. You should get a
confirmation email now.

If it still does not work, you may file a problem report:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA

Cheers

Ortwin Glück

Subscriptoin issue