Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by david <da...@davidwbrown.name> on 2007/12/31 19:39:03 UTC

[users@httpd] 2 apache servers: one re-directs OK the other redirects to the default directory.

Hello Apache users, I am a long time Apache web-server user. Here is the issue: I have 2 servers: 2.0.54 and 1.3.27. The older version server displays the correct virtual server with or without a preceding www. or http:// from the same browser. The newer server redirects the Apache default directory and  of course the default html page is displayed. I have scoured the config files: httpd.conf for the older server and apache2.conf for the newer server. I have tried various redirect URL and directory combinations but the status remains: no-change. Example:

The old server redirects: mydomain.tld to http://www.mydomain.tld

The new server redirects: myotherdomain.tld to http://myotherdomain.tld/apache2-default

The particulars follow. Please advise, David.

OS: Debian 3.1 and rh7.2
Apache version: 2.0.54 and 1.3.27

RE: [users@httpd] 2 apache servers: one re-directs OK the other redirects to the default directory.

Posted by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com>.

For this to work, the first thing is for the two distinct domain names
(www.domain.com and domain.com) to resolve to the same IP address in DNS
- this is a DNS issue and not related to apache.

The second thing is that you need two name-based VHs defined - one for
www.domain.com that serves the real site and one for domain.com that
redirects all traffic to www.domain.com.

> The newer server redirects the Apache default directory and
> of course the default html page is displayed. I have scoured
> the config files: httpd.conf for the older server and
> apache2.conf for the newer server.

And what did you discover? what's different? what's the same?

> I have tried various
> redirect URL and directory combinations but the status
> remains: no-change.

That doesn't tell us much - randomly changing "redirect URL and
directory combinations" is unlikely to "work". However, if you have DNS
set up properly and do it as described above, you will need exactly one,
very simple, Redirect directive.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Example:
>
> The old server redirects: mydomain.tld to http://www.mydomain.tld
>
> The new server redirects: myotherdomain.tld to
> http://myotherdomain.tld/apache2-default
>

> The particulars follow. Please advise, David.
>
> OS: Debian 3.1 and rh7.2
> Apache version: 2.0.54 and 1.3.27

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.