Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by vi...@thepenguin.org on 2013/01/09 13:31:09 UTC

Communication flow with different connectors

Hello:

I am seeking to understand the differences between using mod_jk and mod_ajp and mod_proxy_ajp. Ideally I would love to see a diagram of communication between apache and tomcat, but I haven't found anything like that. I want to confirm my understanding of the data flow. Can someone explain the three functionally or point me to a site that does?

Thanks,
CaptainVic

Re: Communication flow with different connectors

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> It varies. There is normally a link advertised on the conference web
> site. For the most recent ApacheCon (EU 2012) you want:
> http://archive.apachecon.com/eu2012/presentations/
>
> Others should be available id you start here:
> http://archive.apachecon.com/c/
>
> Any presentation I give is available from:
> http://people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/

Wow, really really nice. Will have to take a look. Thanks Mark!

Re: Communication flow with different connectors

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/01/2013 18:37, Howard W. Smith, Jr. wrote:
> Chris,
>
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Christopher Schultz <
> chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>
>> Mark Thomas is giving a talk at ApacheCon (Portland, OR, USA, 26 Feb
>> 2013) about Clustering Tomcat[1]. If you can make it, please join him.
>> If not, I'm sure his slides will be available afterward.
>>

> Thanks for the response. Where are the slides usually stored/archived and
> where will the slides of that talk possibly be stored/archived?

It varies. There is normally a link advertised on the conference web
site. For the most recent ApacheCon (EU 2012) you want:
http://archive.apachecon.com/eu2012/presentations/

Others should be available id you start here:http://archive.apachecon.com/c/

Any presentation I give is available from:
http://people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/

Mark

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Communication flow with different connectors

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com> wrote:

> This is a good article that explains the different ways to proxy to an
> Apache HTTPD server.  It's a little old, but still good.
>

> http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2010/06/16/deciding-between-modjk-modproxyhttp-and-modproxyajp

Interesting question and response, so far. Thank you both. I am tuning in
on conversations related to httpd, tomcat, and SSL, because I already have
a JSF web app deployed to tomcat7.0.34 (TomEE 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT), and that is
running well, but I want to run 2 instances of the web app against one
database (with javaee6 L2 cache) and SSL (https port to the outside world,
only, but of course, not needed for those accessing the web app, behind the
firewall, or accessing web app via the intranet).

Re: Communication flow with different connectors

Posted by vi...@thepenguin.org.
About the mail client, I am just unable to add a > or anything to the line automatically, so it gets confusing quickly if I post as I normally would. Now back to the issue:

My confusion was that I was unsure how have a mount allowed it to communicate. I hadn't really considered that the mount was associated with a worker and that the communication was handled that way. I understand a socket based communication like in mod_ajp, but I was missing how the mount was used. That is where I was coming from.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses.

CaptainVic
Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

+

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.
Let me just add a bit to Daniel's outline below.

vicki@thepenguin.org wrote:
> Hi Daniel:
>
> I appreciate your reply and apologize for the top post (am using a stupid mail client from work). Your answer gets me part way there, but what is the most confusing to me is the use of JkMount. How does that fit into the picture from a communication perspective. I hope this question is clear, but since my Google searches are not turning up anything, I fear that it won't be.
>
> Thanks,
> CaptainVic

To expand a bit the above :

If we limit ourselves to the AJP protocol,

- on the Tomcat side, there is only one AJP Connector, and the communication protocol is
always the same.
- on the httpd side, the options are :

a)

client  -> HTTP(s) -> (Apache HTTPD + mod_proxy + mod_proxy_ajp) -> AJP -> Tomcat

or

b)

client  -> HTTP(s) -> (Apache HTTPD + mod_jk) -> AJP -> Tomcat

Which one you choose is mainly a matter of needs, convenience and preferences, as
explained here :  http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Connectors

About "JkMount" etc :

In the Apache httpd configuration context, the "JkMount" syntax and usage is sometimes a
bit awkward, because it does not follow the general pattern of other httpd configuration
directives, and it is not very clear where in the Apache request processing cycle it
intervenes.
But instead of JkMount/JkUnMount, there exists another mod_jk configuration possibility,
which is explained at the bottom of this page :
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/apache.html
(see the section : Using SetHandler and Environment Variables)

I find that configuring mod_jk in this way makes it easier to understand the way in which
it works. And it also allows you to use mod_jk in conjunction with other standard Apache
httpd configuration options, such as Alias, RewriteRule etc.
(JkMount/JkUnMount are a bit more obscure in terms of how they interplay with other httpd
configuration snippets).

For Apache httpd, mod_jk is a "response handler", which generates the response to a HTTP
request. After Apache has analysed the incoming HTTP request and mapped it to the
appropriate <Location> section, it hands the request to the configured response handler
for that section, and expects in return a response document (or an error) to pass back to
the client browser.

In this case, that response handler is "jakarta-servlet" (an alias for mod_jk).
Apache httpd basically has no idea that when it asks mod_jk to generate the response to a
request, mod_jk in the background is communicating with one or more back-end Tomcat
servers which do the real work.
(And the details of how mod_jk is doing this, are in the separate mod_jk configuration
file "workers.properties").

Does this help ?

Re: Communication flow with different connectors

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Jan 9, 2013, at 9:06 AM, vicki@thepenguin.org wrote:

> Hi Daniel:
>
> I appreciate your reply and apologize for the top post (am using a stupid mail client from work). Your answer gets me part way there, but what is the most confusing to me is the use of JkMount. How does that fit into the picture from a communication perspective. I hope this question is clear, but since my Google searches are not turning up anything, I fear that it won't be.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow you here.  JkMount is used to map a path onto a particular worker.  Let's say a request comes in for "/your-app" and you have "JkMount /your-app worker1" in your HTTPD configuration.  That would instruct mod_jk to take the request and send it to worker1.  If a request came in for "/some-other-app", then mod_jk would do nothing because it does not match with what is configured by JkMount.

If you have not done so already, I would suggest you go through the docs and setup a playground environment.  I think this is a good place to start.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/quick.html

Hope that helps.

Dan

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.