Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2005/07/06 03:36:39 UTC

New Startup Output, Mark 2

	Okay, now you have the following options:

java -jar server.jar -noprogress  Very quiet startup, log level WARN
java -jar server.jar              Progress bar, server version, etc.
java -jar server.jar -v           No progress, log level INFO
java -jar server.jar -vv          No progress, log level DEBUG

	The server version printed will be not too useful for developer
builds, but should be meaningful for snapshots, milestones, and official
releases.

Aaron

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 07:25:08PM -0400, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	Okay, so based on this feedback thread,
>
>  - I'll change "-noprogress" to "-quiet"
>  - I'll leave "-v" and "-vv"
>
> 	I think that's the best combination too.  Being lazy myself, I'm
> not ready for 2-3 large command line args to achieve "-v".  :)

Peachy.  Glad people like the -v -vv idea.  You might consider -v
being WARN and going down from there.  I have no clear preference as
to the flag for it, but it could be nice to basically get no output
but WARN, ERROR, FATAL.

Just throwing the idea out, we already have some great stuff so
doesn't really matter if it goes anywhere.

-David

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Aaron Mulder wrote, On 7/7/2005 4:25 PM:

>	Okay, so based on this feedback thread,
>
> - I'll change "-noprogress" to "-quiet"
> - I'll leave "-v" and "-vv"
>
>	I think that's the best combination too.  Being lazy myself, I'm
>not ready for 2-3 large command line args to achieve "-v".  :)

Sounds cool.

Regards,
Alan

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by si...@insession.com.
David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote on 09/07/2005 02:20:22 AM:

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:07:13AM -0400, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> > 10:51:28,745 INFO  [Daemon] Server startup completed
> > 10:51:28,745 INFO  [MyMonitor] 3s to start org/apache/geronimo/System
> > 10:51:28,745 INFO  [MyMonitor] 5s to start org/apache/geronimo/Server
> > 10:51:28,745 INFO  [MyMonitor] 2s to start
org/apache/geronimo/Deployer

> >    Finally, I don't think it's a good idea to add something like
> > this to the progress bar. <[edited]> I'd prefer this kind of thing get
> > added to the "-v" or "-vv" startup options instead.
>
> +1 to that.

Created JIRA issue http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-733 so it
isn't forgotten.

John

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > At the risk of showing words in your mouth, are you suggesting it
> > would just be nice to see how long it took to start each component?
>
> Exactly. It would just give people a reference as to what got done at
> each additional delta of the progress bar...

This should be easy for someone to implement.  Let me explain:

 - The code is in the system module
 - The class that starts the server is Daemon.
 - Daemon uses a helper class that implements StartupMonitor and calls
   the appropriate methods on that as things happen during the startup
   sequence.  The helper class is responsible for nearly all output from
   the startup classes themselves.
 - The progress bar is implemented in ProgressBarStartupMonitor
 - The non-pb is implemented in SilentStartupMonitor

	So, if you want additional output in a non-progress-bar case (such
as with DEBUG or INFO output enabled), you can either add code to
SilentStartupMonitor or add a new implementation of StartupMonitor and
instantiate that instead of SilentStartupMonitor in the "-v" and "-vv"
cases (leaving SilentStartupMonitor for the "-quiet" case).

	The startup monitor is called every time a configuration is
configurations (5-10, usually), you do not get a call for every GBean
loaded or something like that.  Anyway, if you want to know how long it
takes each configuration to be loaded and started, just call
System.currentTimeMillis here and there and keep some statistics.

	I would recommend that you save any such output to the end for the
case where DEBUG or INFO output is enabled, since it would otherwise be
lost among all the initial output.  But if you save the stats along the
way, the final output could look something like this:

10:51:28,745 INFO  [Daemon] Server startup completed
10:51:28,745 INFO  [MyMonitor] 3s to start org/apache/geronimo/System
10:51:28,745 INFO  [MyMonitor] 5s to start org/apache/geronimo/Server
10:51:28,745 INFO  [MyMonitor] 2s to start org/apache/geronimo/Deployer

	Finally, I don't think it's a good idea to add something like this
to the progress bar.  The progress bar is very clean by design, and I
don't think more specific statistics would be helpful to the typical user.
The server developers are more likely to be interested in finer-grained
information (and more likely to want more detailed log output as well), so
I'd prefer this kind of thing get added to the "-v" or "-vv" startup
options instead.

Thanks,
	Aaron

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:03:52PM -0400, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	You should try it -- it's cool.  :)

I did, and it is!

Looks like it supercedes the patch in bug GERONIMO-264 so I think you
can close it.

Thanks,
Toby

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
	You should try it -- it's cool.  :)

	The standard log configuration sends all DEBUG and higher output
to the log file.  If you go with "-quiet", no startup parameter, or "-v",
then you're raising the threshold for messages printed to the console, but
you still get everything in the log file.  If you go with "-vv" then you
get DEBUG and higher on the console as well as in the log file.  You can
still edit the log configuration in geronimo/var/log to override these
defaults, to enable TRACE or just highly customize the output or whatever.

	IMHO it would be nice if we could only suppress our own output to
the console, and leave application DEBUG and INFO printing.  But the only
way I know of is to raise the threshold for our packages for all appenders
(console and log file) -- I'm not aware of a way to raise the threshold
for console but leave it low for log file for a given package.  Does
anyone know how to do that?  It may still not solve the progress bar
interruption (if an app prints to the log from a startup servlet or
something), but it would sure be a nice option.

Aaron

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
+1 on the format.

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
Nice!  You rock!

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Well, why don't you gather some more input and if there's a concensus we
can change them to whatever.  The current values are constants at the top
of the o/a/g/system/main/Daemon class.  However, note that the current
plumbing expects each value to be a single argument ("-loginfo" not
"-log INFO"), so it would be simpler to keep to that style.

Aaron

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Jul 5, 2005, at 6:50 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On 7/5/2005 6:36 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> I like the idea of:
>
> java -jar server.jar -quiet           Very quiet startup, log level
> WARN
> java -jar server.jar                  Progress bar, server version,
> etc.
> java -jar server.jar -loglevel INFO   No progress, log level INFO
> java -jar server.jar -loglevel DEBUG  No progress, log level DEBUG

I like -quiet and I also like -v and -vv.  I think something like --
loglevel would be ok for a long version of -v, but I don't know if
the word loglevel it right.  This isn't the full log level, but only
the log level used for console output.  Maybe we should use --verbose
and  --veryverbose.

-dain

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jul 6, 2005, at 2:36 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote, On 7/6/2005 4:39 AM:

>>> I like the idea of:
>>>
>>> java -jar server.jar -quiet           Very quiet startup, log
>>> level  WARN
>>> java -jar server.jar                  Progress bar, server
>>> version,  etc.
>>> java -jar server.jar -loglevel INFO   No progress, log level INFO
>>> java -jar server.jar -loglevel DEBUG  No progress, log level DEBUG
>>>

>> This is what I was going to suggest, except just having an
>> explicit  set of flags  and WARN as the default log level, since
>> it's my  understanding these are independent degrees of freedom
>> (progress bar  and log level...)
>>
>> java -jar server.jar -noprogress                 (very quiet, WARN)
>> java -jar server.jar                             (noisy startup...)
>> java -jar server.jar -noprogress -loglevel INFO  (you can guess...)
>> java -jar server.jar -noprogress -loglevel DEBUG
>> java -jar server.jar -loglevel DEBUG
>>

> I am not fond of having a command line argument called noprogress.

That's fine.  I meant to use "quiet" rather than "noprogress".  Sorry.

My point wasn't about the name as much as having switches that
overlap as "quiet" and "loglevel" do above (they both shut off the
progress bar...)

So for your latter two examples, just add the -quiet flag to shut off
the progress bar, rather than it being a side effect of the -loglevel
switch...

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2