Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Payal Rathod <pa...@staticky.com> on 2003/06/05 19:35:26 UTC

[users@httpd] a newbie question on cgi-bin

Hi,
My apache runs as user nobody:nobody. Now I have a user called as
design. He has written a small perl cgi script which only creates
directry in his home directory. But in the error log I get permission
denied. This is because nobody cannot have write permissions to
/home/design

I have thought of 2 different solutions.
- to run apache as root :- bad idea.
- to run apache as user design.

Is there any better solution which I should be looking into?
The user "design" has kept the file in /usr/local/cgi-bin. Infact as
root I kept it there with 755 permissions.

Thanks a lot and waiting eagerly for more info on this.

With warm regards,
-Payal

--
"Visit GNU/Linux Success Stories"
http://payal.staticky.com

Re: [users@httpd] a newbie question on cgi-bin

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Payal Rathod wrote:
> Is there any better solution which I should be looking into?
> The user "design" has kept the file in /usr/local/cgi-bin. Infact as
> root I kept it there with 755 permissions.
>
> Thanks a lot and waiting eagerly for more info on this.

Check the docs on suexec or search the web for cgiwrap.  These two
programs will allow you to run cgi scripts under other userids.

If you use suexec, you'll likely need to move the cgi script to
/home/design/public_html.

Joshua.