Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Giffuni <gi...@tutopia.com> on 2011/06/15 22:16:50 UTC

dmake (was Re: Bootstrapping a build)

 On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:45:08 -0700, Andy Brown
 <an...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
> Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, Debian carries something called dmake-4.12, no idea if it's
>> related or not.
>>

> From the Description of dmake 1:4.12-2  "make utility used to build
> OpenOffice.org" in Ubuntu's Package Manager.  It would seem that is
> all that it is used for.

 Thanks for checking Andy!

 FreeBSD also has it and it's used to build 9 packages.

 http://www.freshports.org/search.php?stype=depends_build&method=match&query=dmake&num=10&orderby=category&orderbyupdown=asc&search=Search

 I will see if the FreeBSD port needs updating but I guess there's no
 need to start a repository for dmake unless we want to have some
 control
 over it (not likely).

 Pedro.

Re: dmake (was Re: Bootstrapping a build)

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <gi...@tutopia.com>.
 On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:35:54 +0200, Mathias Bauer
 <Ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 15.06.2011 22:59, Greg Stein wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 16:16, Pedro Giffuni<gi...@tutopia.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:45:08 -0700, Andy
>>> Brown<an...@the-martin-byrd.net>
>>>
>>> Thanks for checking Andy!
>>>
>>> FreeBSD also has it and it's used to build 9 packages.
>>>

>>> http://www.freshports.org/search.php?stype=depends_build&method=match&query=dmake&num=10&orderby=category&orderbyupdown=asc&search=Search
>>>
>>> I will see if the FreeBSD port needs updating but I guess there's
>>> no
>>> need to start a repository for dmake unless we want to have some
>>> control
>>> over it (not likely).
>>
>> Would there be any benefit to dropping dmake in favor of more
>> readily-available build tools?
>
> That's already going on. We started a move to GNU Make, but not all
> our code modules have been converted to it. And as we already
> discussed, we don't want to convert the rest before we can get the
> first build of OOo@Apache.

 Oh ... this is GREAT!!

 Not that I didn't have faith in you, just wanted to make sure there
 would be a plan B in place ... and save someone else from creating
 another
 dmake fork :).

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 17:35, Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 15.06.2011 22:59, Greg Stein wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 16:16, Pedro Giffuni<gi...@tutopia.com>  wrote:

>>> Thanks for checking Andy!
>>>
>>> FreeBSD also has it and it's used to build 9 packages.
>>>

>>> http://www.freshports.org/search.php?stype=depends_build&method=match&query=dmake&num=10&orderby=category&orderbyupdown=asc&search=Search
>>>
>>> I will see if the FreeBSD port needs updating but I guess there's no
>>> need to start a repository for dmake unless we want to have some control
>>> over it (not likely).
>>
>> Would there be any benefit to dropping dmake in favor of more
>> readily-available build tools?
>
> That's already going on. We startet a move to GNU Make, but not all our code
> modules have been converted to it. And as we already discussed, we don't
> want to convert the rest before we can get the first build of OOo@Apache.

Great!

And I'm behind on my threads. Hadn't see the "hold on for a bit" part
:-) ... Thanks.

Cheers,
-g

Re: dmake (was Re: Bootstrapping a build)

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
On 15.06.2011 22:59, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 16:16, Pedro Giffuni<gi...@tutopia.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:45:08 -0700, Andy Brown<an...@the-martin-byrd.net>
>> wrote:
>>>  From the Description of dmake 1:4.12-2  "make utility used to build
>>> OpenOffice.org" in Ubuntu's Package Manager.  It would seem that is
>>> all that it is used for.
>>
>> Thanks for checking Andy!
>>
>> FreeBSD also has it and it's used to build 9 packages.
>>
>> http://www.freshports.org/search.php?stype=depends_build&method=match&query=dmake&num=10&orderby=category&orderbyupdown=asc&search=Search
>>
>> I will see if the FreeBSD port needs updating but I guess there's no
>> need to start a repository for dmake unless we want to have some control
>> over it (not likely).
>
> Would there be any benefit to dropping dmake in favor of more
> readily-available build tools?

That's already going on. We startet a move to GNU Make, but not all our
code modules have been converted to it. And as we already discussed, we
don't want to convert the rest before we can get the first build of
OOo@Apache.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: dmake (was Re: Bootstrapping a build)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.