Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/03 07:11:10 UTC

Re: BrowserSnifferTool.java (and EscapeTool and ArrayTool)

Hi Nathan,

> ArrayTool:
> this can be very useful and doesn't add any dependencies.  however,
> its functionality is stuff on my wishlist for the core.  and deep
> down, i fear that adding it to Tools will lower the likelihood someone
> will get enough of an "itch" to patch the core.  (and by all that, i
> mean making arrays and Lists indistinguishable to a template author).
> hmm.  i wonder if that means we should make the ArrayTool
> transparently handle Lists and arrays the same, as a kind of
> demonstration for what the core should do (albeit with different
> syntax).  anyway, i've pretty much decided i would add this tool, i
> just haven't gotten around to it.  :)

Actually, ArrayTool originally treated arrays and Lists the same, but
I removed the List part because I thought it should focus on arrays.
And you can handle Lists quite well from the template already.

## But I don't mind putting it back.  ;)

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--
Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>

Re: BrowserSnifferTool.java (and EscapeTool and ArrayTool)

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
> > > ArrayTool:
> > > this can be very useful and doesn't add any dependencies.  however,
> > > its functionality is stuff on my wishlist for the core.  and deep
> > > down, i fear that adding it to Tools will lower the likelihood someone
> > > will get enough of an "itch" to patch the core.  (and by all that, i
> > > mean making arrays and Lists indistinguishable to a template author).
> > > hmm.  i wonder if that means we should make the ArrayTool
> > > transparently handle Lists and arrays the same, as a kind of
> > > demonstration for what the core should do (albeit with different
> > > syntax).  anyway, i've pretty much decided i would add this tool, i
> > > just haven't gotten around to it.  :)
> >
> > Actually, ArrayTool originally treated arrays and Lists the same, but
> > I removed the List part because I thought it should focus on arrays.
> > And you can handle Lists quite well from the template already.
>
> focus is fine, but i think it better to free developers and template
> authors from bothering over whether a reference is a list or an array.
> IMHO, that shouldn't be a concern in a template, and the core should
> handle both the same transparently.  of course, it doesn't at present,
> but that's all the more reason to make the tool do it.
>
> > ## But I don't mind putting it back.  ;)
>
> that'd be great!  and when you do, it should probably be called
> ListTool, because "list" is more commonly understood and more generic
> (at least i think so).

And here it is:
    http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/ListTool

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--
Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>

Re: BrowserSnifferTool.java (and EscapeTool and ArrayTool)

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.