Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/28 01:17:03 UTC

ADS 2.0 layout

Hi guys,

I'm now trying to initialize the server after having read the
configuration, and I have some issues with the instanceLayout : it's not
possible right now to use this layout in the ConfigBuilder, as it's
associated with the DirectoryService, but as we haven't initialized it,
we can't access it.

I think I have to inject this layout into the DirectoryServiceBean, but
this default layout may be overloaded by some value stored into the
configuration.

The current default layout is the following :
<directory root>

   +-- conf/
   |     |
   |     +-- log4j.properties
   |     |
   |     +-- wrapper.conf
   |     |
   |     +-- config.ldif

   +-- run/

   +-- partitions/

   +-- log/

When reading the configuration, we will be able to modify some of those
defaults :
- Journal directory + file name (default to <directory root>/journal.ldif
- Index directory + file name

We don't have the possibility to configure the partition path (it
defaults to <directoryRoot>/<partitionName>) which is not good. Also
note that the partition is not stored into the partitions/ directory,
because we don't have access to this parameter when creating the partition.

I will add a working directory and a file name parameter in the
Partition OC, plus a way to access the layout from the directoryService
when building the elements, that should do the trick.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: ADS 2.0 layout

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On 10/28/10, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm now trying to initialize the server after having read the
> configuration, and I have some issues with the instanceLayout : it's not
> possible right now to use this layout in the ConfigBuilder, as it's
> associated with the DirectoryService, but as we haven't initialized it,
> we can't access it.
>
> I think I have to inject this layout into the DirectoryServiceBean, but
> this default layout may be overloaded by some value stored into the
> configuration.

in this current situation we cannot start the server without defining
a work-dir or
instancelayout cause during the initial start we *need* to extract(to
where? this
is answered by the given workdir/instancelayou) the schema resources
and create a schema partition.
so there lies a chicke-egg issue, this is the main reason we cannot
store/read the workdir
location from config partition.
> The current default layout is the following :
> <directory root>
>    +-- conf/
>    |     |
>    |     +-- log4j.properties
>    |     |
>    |     +-- wrapper.conf
>    |     |
>    |     +-- config.ldif
>    +-- run/
>    +-- partitions/
>    +-- log/
>
> When reading the configuration, we will be able to modify some of those
> defaults :
> - Journal directory + file name (default to <directory root>/journal.ldif
this is possible
> - Index directory + file name
please note that this is *only* possible in case of JDBM, cause JDBM
lets us create
recordmanagers at different locations
In case of most(any) other partition implementations this option is not useful.

> We don't have the possibility to configure the partition path (it
> defaults to <directoryRoot>/<partitionName>) which is not good.
again this is only relevant for JDBM, no other partition
implementations may need it
> Also
> note that the partition is not stored into the partitions/ directory,
> because we don't have access to this parameter when creating the partition.
no it will be, perhaps you might have changed some code in the config
reader/creator
cause this is the directory which is passed while instantiating the
ConfigReader present in
trunk.

> I will add a working directory and a file name parameter in the
> Partition OC, plus a way to access the layout from the directoryService
> when building the elements, that should do the trick.
if it is possible then thats fine, but it might need some bends and
tricks to make it work..

Kiran Ayyagari

Re: ADS 2.0 layout

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Emmanuel,

On 28 oct. 2010, at 01:17, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm now trying to initialize the server after having read the configuration, and I have some issues with the instanceLayout : it's not possible right now to use this layout in the ConfigBuilder, as it's associated with the DirectoryService, but as we haven't initialized it, we can't access it.

I believe it needs to be passed to ConfigBuilder first, which will be responsible to pass it to the DirectoryService during its instantiation.

> I think I have to inject this layout into the DirectoryServiceBean, but this default layout may be overloaded by some value stored into the configuration.
>
> The current default layout is the following :
> <directory root>
>  +-- conf/
>  |     |
>  |     +-- log4j.properties
>  |     |
>  |     +-- wrapper.conf
>  |     |
>  |     +-- config.ldif
>  +-- run/
>  +-- partitions/
>  +-- log/
>
> When reading the configuration, we will be able to modify some of those defaults :
> - Journal directory + file name (default to <directory root>/journal.ldif
> - Index directory + file name
>
> We don't have the possibility to configure the partition path (it defaults to <directoryRoot>/<partitionName>) which is not good. Also note that the partition is not stored into the partitions/ directory, because we don't have access to this parameter when creating the partition.
>
> I will add a working directory and a file name parameter in the Partition OC, plus a way to access the layout from the directoryService when building the elements, that should do the trick.

+1 if this is optional and only overrides the default values,
-1 otherwise...

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud