Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca> on 2017/11/21 23:34:52 UTC

What do you pay attention to when validating Spark jobs?

Hi Folks,

I'm working on updating a talk and I was wondering if any folks in the
community wanted to share their best practices for validating your Spark
jobs? Are there any counters folks have found useful for
monitoring/validating your Spark jobs?

Cheers,

Holden :)

Re: What do you pay attention to when validating Spark jobs?

Posted by "lucas.gary@gmail.com" <lu...@gmail.com>.
I don't think these will blow anyones minds but:

1) Row counts.  Most of our jobs 'recompute the world' nightly so we can
expect to see fairly predictable row variances.
2) Rolling snapshots.  We can also expect that for some critical datasets
we can compute a rolling average for important metrics (revenue, user
count, etc).  We're just starting to investigate this.
3) Job timing:  Jobs should normally take about the same amount of time to
execute (usually).  So we want to alert on things that finish too quickly
(no data in the pipe) or things that take too long.

I'd like to get further into anomaly detection but haven't gotten there yet.