Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/24 22:08:43 UTC

What would be in base? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Introduce mailet-base product]

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:

<snip>

>  I would have preferred to vote on the actual classes to be moved there,
> because I agree that mailet-base is needed, but I don't know if we agree on
> what to move there ;-)

i don't see the point arguing about details unless the principle is
agreed. there's no real reason to vote on contents anyway: should be
able to reach a reasonable consensus

>  IMO Generic*, RFC2822Headers and the "dates" package should be moved there.

+1

- robert

Re: What would be in base? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Introduce mailet-base product]

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> the question is how much toolkit is worthwhile moving in as well. it
>>> would be better if standard mailets were just a runtime dependency.
>>> this would mean moving some abstract implementations into base:
>>>
>>> AbstractQuotaMatcher
>>> AbstractAddFooter
>>>
>>> this would mean subtly changing base from pure utilities into
>>> something a little more like a mailet-building toolkit.
>>>
>>> opinions?
>>>
>>  I'm a little against moving the 2 Abstract classes to mailet-base.
>
> reasons?

It is difficult to explain. Take it as a personal taste/feeling ;-)
I wrote "a little" because of this, otherwise I would have had a much
stronger opinion!

IMHO they are not generic/good/flexible enough to be part of a
toolkit/utility library.

Stefano

Re: What would be in base? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Introduce mailet-base product]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>>
>>  <snip>
>>
>>  >  I would have preferred to vote on the actual classes to be moved there,
>>  > because I agree that mailet-base is needed, but I don't know if we agree on
>>  > what to move there ;-)
>>
>>  i don't see the point arguing about details unless the principle is
>>  agreed. there's no real reason to vote on contents anyway: should be
>>  able to reach a reasonable consensus
>>
>>  >  IMO Generic*, RFC2822Headers and the "dates" package should be moved there.
>>
>>  +1
>
> might also move org.apache.james.util.mailet.* from server

+1

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.