Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Denise Mangano <De...@complusdata.com> on 2003/08/27 20:00:03 UTC

Can't access tomcat pages with https://

Ok, I recompiled Apache and Tomcat and each seems to be working
individually.  I have a question regarding access to https:// access to
tomcat pages.  From what I remember from last time, there wasn't
anything special I had to do to configure tomcat for SSL, but for some
reason that doesn't seem to be the case this time.

Apache is configured for SSL and http://localhost and https://localhost

Tomcat :  I can access http://localhost:8080 but not
https://localhost:8080

Why would this be the case?

I would like to get this resolved before I move back to setting up
mod_jk.  Or wait a second... is it because of mod_jk that I was able to
go from http://localhost/index.jsp to https://localhost/index.jsp ??

Thanks!

Denise

Re: Can't access tomcat pages with https://

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Denise Mangano wrote:

> Apache is configured for SSL and http://localhost and https://localhost
>
> Tomcat :  I can access http://localhost:8080 but not
> https://localhost:8080
>
> Why would this be the case?

Because Tomcat doesn't have SSL setup by default.

Check the SSL HOWTO in the docs for more info.

If you do get it set up, it would be https://localhost:8443

> I would like to get this resolved before I move back to setting up
> mod_jk.  Or wait a second... is it because of mod_jk that I was able to
> go from http://localhost/index.jsp to https://localhost/index.jsp ??

Actually, if your plan is to use Apache and a connector, there is no
gain in setting up SSL for Tomcat other than experience and knowledge.
In an Apache + connector + Tomcat environment, the only SSL
configuration is done in Apache.  Tomcat has no SSL configuration in
that environment, since all requests come in via AJP on "standard" port
like 8009.

John