Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/04/10 17:22:40 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.94

The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.94 release is now available for voting.

The major changes compared to the 7.0.93 release are:

- Fix for CVE-2019-0232 a RCE vulnerability on Windows

- Add support for Java 11 to the JSP compiler. Java 12 and 13 are also
  now supported if used with a ECJ version with support for those  Java
  versions

- Update Tomcat's packaged-renamed copy of Apache Commons DBCP to the
  latest DBCP 1.4.x and Pool 1.6.x source (as of 2019-03-15) to pick up
  various bug fixes

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

For full details, see the changelog:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat7/docs/changelog.html

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.94/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1209/
The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/7.0.94
9ddb14a0e76080feee34f3eca89e5413b93852f9

The proposed 7.0.94 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.94 Stable

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.94

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.
On 4/10/2019 10:22 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed 7.0.94 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.94 Stable

Unit tests pass for BIO, NIO, and APR on Ubuntu 18.04 with Java
1.6u45/1.7u80 and TC-Native-1.2.21

Igal

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.94

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
ср, 10 апр. 2019 г. в 20:22, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.94 release is now available for voting.

The following test is failing for me:

TEST-org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads.BIO.txt
TEST-org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads.NIO.txt

Details are below.
All other tests are OK, with several known failures with Java 6 (thus
far I run the whole testsuite with Java 6 and Java 7).

I tested on Windows 10, using Java 6 (6u45 32-bit), 7 (7u80 32-bit), 8
(8u202 64-bit),
Testing with APR connector shows no failures, the test succeeds.

I enabled debug logging in the test by setting
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads.level = FINE

1) The following test case method fais with NIO and BIO.

Testcase: testAbortedUploadLimitedNoSwallow took 0,499 sec
    FAILED
Limited upload with swallow disabled does not generate client exception
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Limited upload with swallow
disabled does not generate client exception
    at org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads.testAbortedUploadLimitedNoSwallow(TestSwallowAbortedUploads.java:129)

Debug logging:

апр 11, 2019 5:22:28 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads$AbortedUploadServlet
doPost
FINE: IllegalStateException during getParts()
апр 11, 2019 5:22:28 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads doAbortedUploadTest
FINE: Response line: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
апр 11, 2019 5:22:28 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads doAbortedUploadTest
FINE: Response headers: [Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1, Content-Type:
text/plain;charset=ISO-8859-1, Transfer-Encoding: chunked, Date: Thu,
11 Apr 2019 14:22:28 GMT, Connection: close]
апр 11, 2019 5:22:28 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads doAbortedUploadTest
FINE: Response body: 28IllegalStateException during getParts()0

2) The following test case fails with NIO and Java 7, Java 8.
For some reason it runs successfully with Java 6.

Testcase: testAbortedPOST413NoSwallow took 0,431 sec
    FAILED
Limited upload with swallow disabled does not generate client exception
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Limited upload with swallow
disabled does not generate client exception
    at org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads.testAbortedPOST413NoSwallow(TestSwallowAbortedUploads.java:175)

Debug logging:

апр 11, 2019 5:22:44 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads doAbortedPOSTTest
FINE: Response line: HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large
апр 11, 2019 5:22:44 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads doAbortedPOSTTest
FINE: Response headers: [Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1, Content-Type:
text/plain;charset=UTF-8, Transfer-Encoding: chunked, Date: Thu, 11
Apr 2019 14:22:43 GMT, Connection: close]
апр 11, 2019 5:22:44 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads doAbortedPOSTTest
FINE: Response body: 2OK0

3) The following message was logged once:

апр 11, 2019 5:22:34 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads$AbortedUploadServlet
doPost
SEVERE: Exception during getParts()
java.io.IOException: The temporary upload location
[*SKIPPED*\apache-tomcat-7.0.94-src\output\test-tmp\work\Tomcat\localhost\_]
is not valid
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.parseParts(Request.java:2888)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.getParts(Request.java:2820)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade.getParts(RequestFacade.java:1075)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads$AbortedUploadServlet.doPost(TestSwallowAbortedUploads.java:193)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:650)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:731)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:303)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:219)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:110)
    at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:494)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:169)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:104)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:116)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:445)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1137)
    at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:637)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:317)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

It resulted in the following test failure:

Testcase: testAbortedUploadUnlimitedNoSwallow took 0,551 sec
    FAILED
Unlimited upload with swallow disabled returns error status code
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Unlimited upload with swallow
disabled returns error status code
    at org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads.testAbortedUploadUnlimitedNoSwallow(TestSwallowAbortedUploads.java:107)

and debug logging:

апр 11, 2019 5:22:34 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads doAbortedUploadTest
FINE: Response line: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
апр 11, 2019 5:22:34 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads doAbortedUploadTest
FINE: Response headers: [Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1, Content-Type:
text/plain;charset=ISO-8859-1, Transfer-Encoding: chunked, Date: Thu,
11 Apr 2019 14:22:34 GMT, Connection: close]
апр 11, 2019 5:22:34 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.TestSwallowAbortedUploads doAbortedUploadTest
FINE: Response body: a6java.io.IOException: The temporary upload
location [*SKIPPED*\apache-tomcat-7.0.94-src\output\test-tmp\work\Tomcat\localhost\_]
is not valid0

Request.java:2888 is

            if (!location.isDirectory()) {

parameters.setParseFailedReason(FailReason.MULTIPART_CONFIG_INVALID);
                partsParseException = new IOException(
                        sm.getString("coyoteRequest.uploadLocationInvalid",
                                location));
                return;
            }

My guess is that the "work" directory is created and deleted
repeatedly during test runs, and its re-creation failed. In this case
the code generates an IOException. It is not related to
IllegalStateException in the failures above.

4) I did not observe these failures when I tested Tomcat 7.0.93.
Buildbot and Gump do not reproduce them either.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.94

Posted by Keiichi Fujino <kf...@apache.org>.
2019年4月11日(木) 2:22 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.94 release is now available for voting.
>
> The major changes compared to the 7.0.93 release are:
>
> - Fix for CVE-2019-0232 a RCE vulnerability on Windows
>
> - Add support for Java 11 to the JSP compiler. Java 12 and 13 are also
>   now supported if used with a ECJ version with support for those  Java
>   versions
>
> - Update Tomcat's packaged-renamed copy of Apache Commons DBCP to the
>   latest DBCP 1.4.x and Pool 1.6.x source (as of 2019-03-15) to pick up
>   various bug fixes
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat7/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.94/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1209/
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/7.0.94
> 9ddb14a0e76080feee34f3eca89e5413b93852f9
>
> The proposed 7.0.94 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.94 Stable

+1
Tested on simple hand-made app.(enable session replication).

> Mark

Keiichi.Fujino

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.94

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 10/04/2019 18:22, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed 7.0.94 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.94 Stable

Unit tests pass for BIO, NIO and APR/Native on Windows, Linux and MacOS
with Tomcat-Native 1.2.21

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org>.
На ср, 10.04.2019 г. в 20:22 ч. Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> написа:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.94 release is now available for voting.
>
> The major changes compared to the 7.0.93 release are:
>
> - Fix for CVE-2019-0232 a RCE vulnerability on Windows
>
> - Add support for Java 11 to the JSP compiler. Java 12 and 13 are also
>   now supported if used with a ECJ version with support for those  Java
>   versions
>
> - Update Tomcat's packaged-renamed copy of Apache Commons DBCP to the
>   latest DBCP 1.4.x and Pool 1.6.x source (as of 2019-03-15) to pick up
>   various bug fixes
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat7/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.94/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1209/
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/7.0.94
> 9ddb14a0e76080feee34f3eca89e5413b93852f9
>
> The proposed 7.0.94 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.94 Stable

Regards,
Violeta

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.94

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1: markt, isapir, kfujino, violetagg, remm

No other voters were cast.

The vote therefore passes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release.

I'll send out the announcement as soon as the mirrors catch up.

Mark